Monday, 13 July 2015

Ready.Set. WRITE! Week #6

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, Elodie Nowodazkij, and I hope you’re looking forward to yet another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive for writing, revising, or planning your WIP. It’s also a way to keep each other accountable. Every Monday we’ll share our posts, keeping them brief in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to visit other participants’ blogs to cheer them on as well. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goal(s)

My goal was to work for 12 hours on revisions and send out two queries. I met my time goal, which included rearranging, snipping, splicing, and rewriting several scenes. I'm still working on smoothing this section out, and it's kind of an experiment in progress. As for queries, I only sent out one.

My goal(s) for this week

12 hours of writing. 2 queries. Surprised?

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised

He stares unblinking at the flames beyond. They lick the night as though trying to devour the stars.

The biggest challenge I faced this week

Motivation. I've been craving summery walks and time to read, not messy revisions that make me want to bang my head against a brick wall (FYI, my new office has a brick wall, so I literally can do that now). On the positive side, my son stayed up late every night and read in my office while I worked, so that was fun. The company helped and I love spending time with my kiddo.

Something I love about my WIP

My mc is 18 when the story begins, but by the epilogue in book three, about two years have passed. It focuses on a window of time when everything is changing fast, when she grows from teen to adult. I love that it’s a story about discovering who she is and what she wants and not just about her efforts to save the world.

Now, it’s time to announce the winner of our first giveaway…


SUSAN CRISPELL


Congratulations, Susan! Enjoy all those goodies from Jaime! This week’s writer care package was put together by Elodie. If you’d like to win the cute items in the photo, be sure to enter the Rafflecopter below. Remember, it's one entry per week of participation in RSW, and the contest is open internationally. Good luck!


 And here’s what Elodie’s parcel contains:

● Mini Gallery "Believe in yourself"
● to-do list
● Twizzlers bites
● Ritter sport chocolate
● Notebook "Not all those who wander are lost"
● stars stickers
● nail files

Hope all of you had a successful week! I noticed last Monday that a lot of us seemed to be struggling. Hang in there, everyone! We’re reaching the mid-point in the summer, so we’re almost over that hill. Thanks again for your lovely comments. Oh, and a few of you asked what colour I painted my office. I chose a pale blue called “Everclear” (which kinda sounds like a Brodi Ashton novel, ha!), with just a hint of grey in it. I love how it turned out! I'll post pics someday when it's all organized and decorated. Have a super week, people!



a Rafflecopter giveaway

24 comments:

  1. You did great last week. I don't recommend banging you head on that wall, I hear it hurts. It's so sweet that your son wanted to keep you company. He wants to support his mom because he knows you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That age is my new catnip with books: such an amazing time in a person's life! When I am doing revisions like that I always think of the quote "when you're going through hell, keep going." It is often attributed to Winston Churchill and he was probably talking about a war or something a wee bit more serious than my revision problems (MAYBE), but it always makes me feel like I can keep trudging along :) KEEP GOING!! You will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you were incredibly productive with your time, even if your revisions are starting to get to you a bit. Can you intersperse them with a couple of nice walks? (I hear they work well as bribes. ;) ) It's great your son's been keeping you company too, it sounds like a really nice sweet to share the time together.

    I do love the line you shared, so evocative...

    ReplyDelete
  4. *snort* I love that your office has a literal brick wall. Step away, Erin!

    Your excerpts are always so gorgeous -- love the imagery in this one, especially. Best of luck with your goals, and I'm sending you all sorts of good query vibes. Have a great week, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job last week! I love your snipet, so visual. And enjoy the time with your son. Mine has been up late with me this summer as well. Too bad the school year is creeping in slowly. Good luck with those queries! *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that your son kept you company! That pain color sounds gorgeous--can't wait to see pics! Great lines you shared with lovely imagery. I hope you meet your writing goals again this week :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute that your son stayed up reading with you--love that bonding time! And two queries is an excellent way to up the ante for this week. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you know, my motivation was the absolute worst this week. Just can't seem to care enough, which is terrible. I think in your case you've got lots of new stuff to explore and far nicer surroundings than you had last summer. It seems only natural that you'd rather be out and about (*not* oot and aboot...grrr) checking things out than cooped up inside working on revisions. Can't wait to see pics of your new office once it's set up! Hope this is a much better week for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Twelve hours is a commendable amount of time. Good for you! I think summer is a hard time to work on anything, other than gardening. It's laid back. It the vacation season. Good luck getting the queries out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Step away from the brick wall. Step away from the brick wall :) Hope you do get some time for yourself and some reading time too.
    You can doooo it, Erin.
    I love love love this: "They lick the night as though trying to devour the stars." LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 12 hours is a lot! It sounds like you're doing really well. Also, that line from your WIP is just dreamy! *sigh* :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job meeting your goals this week! Summer is a hard time for motivation, but it sounds like the weekly goals are working for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, what a sweet son you have! I can't wait until mine is old enough to keep me company instead of keeping me distracted. Sounds like you had a pretty productive week, despite motivational setbacks. Good luck keeping it up this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That window between 18 and 20 is so often packed with Life's chaos... what an exciting time to write about. The line you quote has a male perspective though, and you speak of your MC as a she. Different story? Multiple POV characters?

    No brick walls, Erin. We like you as you are. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow you did great last week :) It is hard to stay inside when it's so lovely out and I feel like I have to make the most of the summer before the snow comes again!
    I love the line from your WIP, so evocative.
    Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Um.....let's not bang your head against the wall! It might sound good at the time but....
    And ugh, queries. Why is it so easy to find agents and make a list but when it comes time to send...nope.
    Good luck this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like that snippet. If you need any extra eyes on your queries, let me know and I'd be happy to take a look! Also, please don't smash your head on that wall :) Figuratively, okay. Literally, no no no. <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I love that excerpt! Gorgeous imagery. I'm with you on craving summery walks and - especially - wanting to read rather than write. I had that problem this week, too. I am finally reading ON WRITING by Stephen King and his autobiographical stuff pulled me in more than I thought it would! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your writing and revision progress!

    I love what you said about having seen your protagonist from teen to adult. It's such a special thing to see a character grow up and to go on that journey with him or her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love walks during summer nights, they're so inspiring! You did so well with your goals, and sending even one query takes a lot of courage! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE your favorite line!

    You did well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is awesome about how we follow your character into adulthood and that you love it that much. :) Good luck with not banging your head against the brick wall. I'm struggling with being outside versus keeping my butt in the chair too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That excerpt is fantastic! Especially the imagery. Uggh. Suhh guuud! Motivation has been hard to come by. Like you, the temptation of summertime fun makes writing seem like so much work. But it'll be worth it in the end.

    Also, I don't know if your "What I'm Reading" is current, but I started AN EMBER IN THE ASHES on audiobook today. Loving it so far! <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your line!
    I feel ya- I just want to relax in the summer sun while it lasts, cuz I know it's not going to last long. I really need a good motivation kick-in-the-pants.
    You can literally bang your head against a brick wall. *snort*

    ReplyDelete