Monday, 6 July 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week#5


Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, Jaime Morrow, Elodie Nowodazkij, and I hope you’re looking forward to yet another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive for writing, revising, or planning your WIP. It’s also a way to keep each other accountable. Every Monday we’ll share our posts, keeping them brief in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to visit other participants’ blogs to cheer them on as well. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.



How I did on last week’s goal(s)

12 hours of work on writing: Done. Revised four scenes and tinkered with a couple others.
Send out three more queries: Nope. Didn’t get to this.
Paint my office: Finished, and good grief was that hard.

My goal(s) for this week

I’m going to aim for another 12 hours of writing, and during that time I’m hoping to make a final decision on a particular story arc that either needs to be cut or changed. It's been giving me a major headache for a while, so we'll see how that goes. I’ll also try to send out two more queries.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised

At first I’m afraid of falling, but with his arm firmly about me and his hand a reassuring reminder on my hip, I soon let the hushed chatter of leaves relax me, enjoy the feel of my feet dangling in midair. In the distance, tiny cars speed along a thin strand of highway. I try my best to ignore them. They’re our only reminder of the rest of the world, and we both prefer this sense of having slipped through a crack in time and space to a place where only we exist.

The biggest challenge I faced this week

Painting my office was harder and more time-consuming than I thought it would be. Our new (old) house has 10 foot ceilings--almost twice my height--and there’s tons of trim, weird angles and corners. It took foreeeeever, and I was tired and sore from going up and down the ladder. Not much energy left over for writing. Now we only have 8 more rooms plus the foyer, vestibule, and hallways to paint. Kill me. Kill me now.

Something I love about my WIP

I love all my supporting characters, and I’ve tried hard to develop them as much as possible with the limited page time they get. Some of those characters have their own little story arcs that make them feel more layered and real. I wish I could write a book about each of them.

And now, let the real fun commence...

This summer, the RSW hosts are giving away writer care packages to five lucky participants. It's our way of saying thanks and hopefully giving your writing sessions a fun boost. If you'd like a chance to win this amazing parcel put together by Jaime, then be sure to enter on the Rafflecopter below. You get one entry for each week you've participated in RSW. The contest runs until 12:00 am July 12th and is open internationally. Good luck!


Here's what Jaime's care package contains:

• coiled journal with Every Summer Has A Story on it
• to-do checklist pad of paper
• heart-shaped Post-it notes
• Fineline markers (fine tip)
• pencil case with flip-flop pattern
• mini binder clips in fun colours
• two rolls of washi tape
• Revlon sparkly nail file
Haute in the Heat Essie nail polish
• EOS sweet mint lip balm
• Maynards wine gums
• Smarties
• Cadbury Dairy Milk Cookie Crunch bar

So how did it go with your goals this week? Once again, thanks so much for your kind comments, especially about my excerpt last week. That encouragement came at just the right time. :)

a Rafflecopter giveaway

27 comments:

  1. OMG yes painting is hard work! Great that it was finished though. What color did you make your creative space?

    Good luck this week on moving forward and making that arc decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, great job with hitting that writing goal though AND finishing the office painting. I feel like painting is always one of those tasks that you think won't be that hard/take forever but inevitably end up being more difficult that you realize. Glad it's done!

    Good luck this week with more writing and deciding what you're going to do with that arc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job getting your painting and words done! We painted our entire house when we moved in and I swore NEVER AGAIN would I be on a ladder. I salute you! Good luck for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to paint rooms but we never got around to it...it sounds HARD :) So double congrats on not only painting but also getting to that writing goal. And I remember your secondary characters, I know I loved them and I do think my heart got broken by one of them :)
    Good luck this week, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. UGH. Painting is the WORST. I hired people to do my house when we moved into the current one. Mainly because it had to be done and fast to pass inspection, but I still think I might've done that regardless. Good luck! And yay for all the progress! Hope you have another great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Painting is SUCH hard work, but the results are always so worth it. What color did you choose for your office? And best of luck with all of the painting you've got left. You're going to have buff shoulders by the time you're done. ;-) Love the excerpt you shared, as always. Makes me so curious about these characters and what they're up to high above the world. Have a great week, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want to write a book about each character, sounds like you've got the making of a great series ;) Yay to getting the office painted. Sounds like lots of work, but it sounds like it's a gorgeous room too. I can't imagine painting the entire house at once. I'm out doing fence posts around our cattle pen right now--wood ones which were once white. I'm trying to bring back the old glance but there are 40 some posts to paint. I've just accepted that it will take me all summer...one post at a time. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm completely impressed that you got the two hardest challenges on your list completely done (the writing and the office painting). Awesome job, Erin :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, painting is the worst, I seriously hate it. I did my office a couple of years ago, and it was just an uncomplicated small square of a room, and I still hated it! =) Kudos to you on getting anything done w/that going on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, good luck with the painting! I don't envy you. I imagine the final results will be worth it, though! Hope the writing goes well in your new office. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for finishing painting your office! I'm impressed you were able to do anything else--it's such hard work. Great lines you shared--I could really picture it :). Hope the painting isn't as hellish this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So what colour did you go with for your office? I bet a nice neon green would stimulate creativity. ;-) I'm glad you got it done, though. It will be nice for you to have a space of your own for writing. Good job on meeting your revision goal this week. I hope this scene you're struggling with resolves itself, or that you're able to see clearly what needs to happen with it. I kind of hit a roadblock with my revisions this week, so I'm sort of in the same boat that way.

    Oh, forgot to mention I really liked the excerpt. I'm not sure if I've read this yet? (Is it from ENLIGHTEN?) Hope the revisions continue to go well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome job on completing 2 out 3 goals!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My father-in-law painted our entire interior. He's a good man. I admire you for painting your own office. It must look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on getting the paining done, that's hard work. The excerpt is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh, painting. Someone told me recently that we should paint a feature wall to go with out new couch, and I was like, um NO. It's just one wall and I don't even want to do that so I can't imagine painting that many rooms. Good luck!
    Love the excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great excerpt! I love the moments that feel like that and you described it so perfectly. Good luck with your goals this week (and painting)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that excerpt! My favorite is the "the hushed chatter of leaves." So perfect—I can practically hear them.

    Good luck with this week's goals!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love when supporting characters enrapture us and demand they be more developed and get their own little storylines. It's even more exciting when someone who started out as a secondary or minor character develops into a major character in a future book, or later in the same book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome on the painting! But sorry you're so exhausted. Did you say 8 MORE rooms to go? Mamamia!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your excerpt is wonderful! "The hushed chatter of leaves..." I love that. Gorgeous imagery. Sorry about all the painting in your future but it'll be so beautiful when it's all done! Good luck with goals this week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The nice thing about queries is that you can get them done relatively quickly. So it's okay that you didn't get to it last week.You got the big things done instead. Good luck on your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Girl, I'd be hiring out that painting! We painted our dining room red, and we must've put at least 4 coats on that bad boy. And then I found out red is one of the hardest colors to paint. Loved your except, especially the last line. Have a wonderful week! !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Phew! You got the mental work and the physical work in last week! My aunt claims to love painting indoors, and the rest of the family thinks she's inhaled too many paint fumes. Good luck attacking the rest of the house. FOR REALS.

    I've been thinking about supporting characters a lot lately, trying to pinpoint what I love about some of my favorites in prose and in films. They really do make or break a story and it can be such a delicate balance between making them unique and making them caricatures. It sounds like you've put in the work and have some great things going on with yours. That's so exciting! Good luck with the writing AND the painting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really love the excerpt you shared--the descriptions are beautiful. Good luck this week. Also, my office needs to be painted, so if you get bored of all those rooms... :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I love your scene!!! But ugh, queries....YUCK! Haha. I'm in that process too!
    Your house sounds dreamy, aside from painting nightmares. You'll have to share after pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Supporting characters are my favorite! Probably why I spend too much time on them in my story, only to cut it down later. I can't imagine painting a room by myself, I applaud your bravery!

    ReplyDelete