Monday, 29 June 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #4

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, Elodie Nowodazkij, and I hope you’re looking forward to yet another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive for writing, revising, or planning your WIP. It’s also a way to keep each other accountable. Every Monday we’ll share our posts, keeping them brief in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to visit other participants’ blogs to cheer them on as well. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goal(s)

My goal last week was to put in twelve hours of work on writing, and I ended up spending around sixteen. During that time I tweaked a few things in Envision for consistency with its sequels. I finished rereading Engrave and did some further revisions on it. I reread a few chapters of Enlighten and started some revisions on it as well. I also did agent research and sent out one query.

My goal(s) for this week

I’m aiming for twelve hours of rereading/revisions again, and I’d like to send out at least three more queries. I also plan to paint my office and start getting it organized. I'm super excited about having a more inspirational work space.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised

He brushes off an emerald green stone with an expression of raw admiration that borders on reverence, his insides so beautifully bare, unmasked by this discovery. A pang of bittersweetness hits me. It seems unfair that for their deepest, truest beauty to be exposed, some things, some people, have to be torn open and gutted first.

The biggest challenge I faced this week

I was pretty exhausted again this week, to the point where I conked out a few times after supper. We’re still settling into our new home, so that continues to take up a lot of time and energy. I’m used to writing a lot on weekends, but living in a cool, new city also makes it tempting to do and see everything new instead of staying glued to my laptop.

Something I love about my WIP

Even though my trilogy is sci-fi, the tech in the story isn’t the heart of it—relationships are. It’s about what it means to be human, what it means to live and love in an imperfect world. Without those deep, layered relationships, the stakes in the story wouldn’t be nearly so high. I love that. A lot.

So how did it go for all of you this past week? Thanks again for the accountability and encouragement. Your comments are a real boost for us RSW hosts too!


19 comments:

  1. I'm in awe that you're managing to juggle settling in to your new home with successfully reading and revising, and I'm in awe at your excerpt too, it's absolutely beautiful. Good luck with both your writing targets and painting your office. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Love your excerpt! Gorgeous and packing so much emotion! I think discovering your city helps your writing, you know discovering new smells, new sighs, watching people-->totally research :)
    Good luck this week, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adjusting to a new place takes time and your body needs rest but that just means you'll have more energy and brain power to dedicate to your story soon :) New places to explore can bring new ideas in the creative pot that is a writers head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, LOVE the snippet you shared and I especially love this: "It seems unfair that for their deepest, truest beauty to be exposed, some things, some people, have to be torn open and gutted first." So, so good!

    And what a great job on your goals this week! I'm in awe, especially with all that you have going on. Hope you have another great week, Erin! Good luck with the querying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It seems unfair that for their deepest, truest beauty to be exposed, some things, some people, have to be torn open and gutted first." -- Love, love LOVE that line. Good luck getting your space organised -- I've just moved, too, and have a writing space for the first time. I'm hoping it will be inspirational, just like yours is going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I'm always so interested in others' creative work spaces, so I hope painting yours adds some oomph into the creativity. 16 hours of writing! That's fantastic, and good luck on meeting or exceeding 12 hours again this week. Extra luck to queries because that process is a different beast entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job on your revisions this week! Sounds like you're making great headway on all three books. You didn't mention you were sharing a snippet too. I like this one! Is it from ENGRAVE or ENLIGHTEN? (I can't remember if it's from a scene I'm thinking of in ENGRAVE or not.) Have fun getting your office in order this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reorganizing and decorating your office sounds like a great way to have an inspiring writing space :). And I'm with Rebecca--that last line is amazing! Hope this week is just as productive for you--and good luck on the queries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you're making great progress, especially after the move.

    Best of luck with the querying, and have fun setting up your writing space! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the lines you shared. It's such a true commentary.

    Good luck with settling into your new place and finding time to write!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your excerpt. I also really love your voice. I think that even though you have goals you need to achieve, getting to know your new city is wicked important to. Especially when it's summer and the weather is nice. Definitely make sure you get out and learn about the area. I bet it will pay off in the future. Good luck on getting the new office set up and meeting your goals this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Repainting sounds fun! and sounds like you've been finding a lot of writing time despite everything else. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on exceeding the hours of writing for your goal. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with your goal this week. I love sifi that doesn't focus too much on the science and more on the characters. Thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome job, Erin! 12 hours of writing is amazing. What color are you thinking of painting your office?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm painting it a shade of blue called "Everclear." Sort of pale with a touch of grey. :)

      Delete
  16. Ooh, loved the excerpt- it was beautiful!
    Good luck with querying ad have a happy Canada day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exciting to see that you're querying this trilogy! Good luck with that, and I'm glad you have so much to keep you busy while you're waiting for responses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh -- your excerpt is gorgeous. I'm experiencing a serious case of prose envy right now. Best of luck with your goals in the upcoming week, especially concerning your office. How cool to have an inspirational space that's all your own!

    ReplyDelete