Monday, 22 June 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #3

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, Elodie Nowodazkij, and I hope you’re looking forward to yet another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive for writing, revising, or planning your WIP. It’s also a way to keep each other accountable. Every Monday we’ll share our posts, keeping them brief in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to visit other participants’ blogs to cheer them on as well. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goal(s)

Not spectacular. When I set my goals, I underestimated how long it would take to reread Engrave, book two in my trilogy, and overestimated by brain’s ability to focus right now. I got most of the way through my reread and did some minor revisions, but not as many as I’d hoped.

My goal(s) for this week

Because I’m working on three WIPs this summer and hopping around from task to task while I revise and smooth out inconsistencies between them, it’s kind of hard to determine specific goals, so this week I’m switching to a time goal instead. I usually treat writing like a job and put in several hours a day, but I haven’t fully settled into that again after our move. This week I’m aiming for twelve hours of work.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised

Intense

The biggest challenge I faced this week

Focusing was a huge challenge because I was overtired and distracted. I found myself rereading the same paragraphs over and over. I can’t wait until our house is painted and unpacked and organized (especially my office). I’d much rather be revising than trying to match upholstery and paint until my eyes cross. Has to be done though.

Something I love about my WIP

I love that at this midpoint (book 2) my mc is really starting to come into her own. She’s more assertive, and she’s figuring out what she wants. While I love plotting, I definitely have a passion for character development. It’s so rewarding to see how much a character has changed and grown throughout a series.

So how did all of you do this week? Great, I hope! Thanks for all the supportive comments you've been leaving. Even though it was a tough week, your encouragement helped me to feel less frustrated. :)

21 comments:

  1. The one advantage to painting is that sometimes it frees up your mental space to let ideas saunter their way in and prop their feet up on your furniture. :) My characters get pretty vocal when I'm doing things like that, so hopefully yours will find productive ways to spend their time while you work. :)

    Good luck with this week, I hope your office is comfortable and ready for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you're doing much better than I did when I moved! I completely abandoned my writing for a month because I just could NOT focus or work up the mental energy. So I completely understand the struggle to focus. As for what you love, isn't that the best feeling? When your characters start to reveal themselves in a more defined way. I feel like it just makes the writing more fun. Good luck with your twelve hours of work goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your in a really different stage with your writing than you have been yet, so don't feel bad if it isn't going exactly like you hoped. This is uncharted territory right now! Checking for continuity across three books while revising 2 or 3 of them has got to be a major challenge, so I think any and all progress is something to be proud of. Hope your settling in and that you'll be able to settle into a writing routine again soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, writing and unpacking are two things that don't go to well together. Good luck getting through both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your time goal! And yeah - I have a hard time focusing on writing or anything else if my space isn't semi-organized and clean. I hope all the painting and unpacking happens soon and you can get back to full-time writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be so hard to get in writing time when your house isn't unpacked or or organized yet- I feel for ya! Good luck on your goal this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rereading often takes longer than I expect, and I don't blame you for struggling when things are so busy right now! Time goals sound like a great idea. Best of luck with this week's goals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. House stuff can definitely be distracting when you're writing. We did some renovations last month and I couldn't get my head on straight until everything was done because of the mess. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the idea of setting a specific number of hours for your goal. I may try that next week. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm surprised you're able to focus on writing at all after you JUST moved! Love the idea of time goals, and I hope you're able to get your twelve hours this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd say that when your house is in disarray from moving, any progress is good progress at this point! I agree with you on character development. That might be my favorite part. :) Good luck this week and I hope some painting/organizing fairies show up to help you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hugs on being overtired and distracted. That happens to me a lot, as I have fibromyalgia and the fatigue is a killer. :) I hope you'll be able to get more done this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Working on 3 WIPs at once sounds like it would be wicked hard. How do you figure out what to do on each WIP when?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love when we watch a character growing and changing throughout a book or series. That means we've done our job well.

    Slow progress is still progress. I didn't write as much this past week as I'd hoped, but at least it wasn't nothing. Getting there eventually is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 3 Wips at one time sounds really difficult. Not to mention with your move. I'm amazed at every word you get typed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Making sure your 3 WiPs are where you want them to be, knowing that one small change can affect the other 2 is definitely difficult and you're rocking this. Especially, with the move at the same time. Tracey has something in her post about doing it one step at a time and you can do this. One step at a time :) Cheering you on, Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the idea of treating writing like a job. I'm still struggling to get there. Hopefully I can get better at that this summer.

    Great job getting anything done at all last week! Hopefully you're able to get a little bit more done this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am just super impressed that you did any reading/editing at all while moving. I am totally useless when I'm in the middle of a move!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're so right about us being in the same boat this week! Except I can't believe you're working on THREE projects. I don't know how you're doing that. The time goal is really a smart way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You'll be happier once things are done and you can settle, Erin. Sometimes it's just the way things are... one thing needs to get done before you can move onto the next one. Here's to a happy new office to get all the words written in this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Character development is one of my favourite things, both when it comes to writing and reading. I love seeing how the characters grow. Good luck with the unpacking, hope you gets things sorted soon so that you can have more time with your story.

    ReplyDelete