Monday, 15 June 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #2

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, Elodie Nowodazkij, and I hope you’re looking forward to yet another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive for writing, revising, or planning your WIP. It’s also a way to keep each other accountable. Every Monday we’ll share our posts, keeping them brief in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to visit other participants’ blogs to cheer them on as well. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goal(s)

My goal was to ease into RSW with some rereading and to start working on a particular plot hole. I reread, ENVISION, the first book in my trilogy, fixed the plot hole, revamped another scene, and gave my query a makeover. I’m starting to settle into my writing routine again, so that’s a relief.

My goal(s) for this week

I’d like to reread ENGRAVE, the second WIP in my trilogy, and work through at least half of my remaining revision notes on it. I also plan to make note of any inconsistencies and continue to smooth these out between all three books.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised

Complicated

The biggest challenge I faced this week

Solving a tricky plot hole that got bigger every time I tried to plug it. After a Skype conversation with Jaime, I finally figured out how to fix it, while still keeping my WIP under 100k. Concentrating on that was really hard this week because we’re still unpacking and getting settled in (will be for a while).

Something I love about my WIP

I chose to go ahead and finish my entire trilogy even though I don’t have an agent, and I love that after over three years of working on it, I’m just as attached to it as when I first started. Infinitely more, in fact. Because I wrote it with no publishing prospects on the horizon, I wrote it for me. I finished it for me, and that feels incredible regardless of whatever happens with it.

Thanks for the encouraging comments all of you left last week! They were a real motivator! Good luck to everyone on your goals this week!


29 comments:

  1. Yay for fixing plot holes!!! That is always such a wonderful feeling. Congrats on finding the solution and best of luck for this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're getting into a writing routine again and way to go this week! I know I can't wait to see what happens after ENVISION!!! And "I wrote it for me. I finished it for me" --> I think it's so important to find this place of writing for oneself (no matter what the ultimate goals are for the manuscripts...)
    Cheering you on, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE that you wrote your story first for YOU. That's exactly how this writing gig thing should go. And look at you with all the progress this week! Hope you have another amazing one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great that you still found time to write even with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome on settling into the writing routine again. I'm hoping to get there in the next week or two.

    Hope you have another productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have jumped right in and got a lot done! Whoohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on resolving the plot hole! Glad you’re getting back to routine. That can be such a relief after so much upheaval. Good luck on your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy you were able to close the plot holes and come up with ways to that. Our Skype convos are super helpful! Hope you're able to settle into a writing routine even while exploring your new surroundings! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job getting back into writing! Fixing plot holes and inconsistencies across a series is something I need to work on in my edits this month, too.

    I've decided to draft all my series without committing to publishing them until the final book's complete. It takes so much of the pressure off, and is so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you rocked your "ease into it" goal, Erin! Love your word for the week -- complicated -- too. I can relate. :-) Hope this week is just as productive, and that you're settling into your new home and town. Have a great one, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you fixed the plot point you were stuck on! I love getting into a routine when it comes to writing, makes things easier (in a sense). Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You really stuck to your goals from last week and conquered them. We envy you. And we definitely understand "complicated." That's a great word choice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you're settling in to your new place! I wrote a sequel to my first ever WIP because I was just so into the story. That book never got an agent but I don't regret for one second writing that sequel because I plan to go back to the story one day.
    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love your last comments about writing the trilogy before having an agent. I was getting ready to ask you about that in the comments and you answered my question! I've been debating whether or not to write the rest of my fantasy series or if I should move on to other books. You're making me rethink it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to fix a plot hole. That's huge. Everything clicks into place once that's sorted out, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aren't brainstorming buddies the freaking best? And also, Skype? So smart to use the technology to connect with Jaime! Congratulations on finding a solution to the ever-growing plot hole--that's such an awesome feeling!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Plot holes can be so, so hard. Glad you were able to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you still have such a strong connection to your trilogy. That's when you know you really have something great going! It makes it all worthwhile. Way to rock the goals last week - especially with the unpacking and settling in happening! Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your commitment to your trilogy, even w/out that outside validation we seek from agents and book deals. And just think, when you do get one of those, all the books will be ready to go. That's huge! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think people who can write trilogies are amazing. You rock! And your commitment is truly inspiring. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's great how you're committed to finishing your trilogy, no matter what happens. As I've said, you can't unwrite a series. I didn't know until four years ago that unpublished writers these days aren't "supposed to" deliberately create a series, trilogy, or even a sequel. Oh well. I've already grown emotionally attached and committed to my characters in my different series over 20+ years, and can't just give them up to write a bunch of standalones.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love hearing that you're so in love with your trilogy and that you are writing it for you. I can't wait to hear more about it during RSW!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love what you said about what you love about your WIP. I think that it's super important to love our work and write it for ourselves above everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good luck with the plot hole! And love the description, complicated. Sometimes those are the best books!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another one in the "I'm writing the book I want to read" camp! Good for you. You've got to love it and believe in it, to sell it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! I'm totally loving reading the entries from this hop. Great expression of your work: complicated. Best wishes on your writing week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nothing's better than writing for you! I love the way you're keeping your goals realistic. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I talk over plot holes with my sister, too. It helps SO MUCH to bounce ideas off one another. Glad you fixed yours! Good luck with your goals this week, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love that you wrote your trilogy without worrying about publishing it! I feel like that will make it that much better when we all do get to read it :)

    Good luck with your revisions this week!

    ReplyDelete