Wednesday, 25 March 2015

What's Up Wednesday

As most of you know, this has been a busy year for me so far, and it’s about to get busier. I started homeschooling my son at a high school level this fall, which has been very demanding (although rewarding), and now my family is going through a huge transition as we prepare for a cross-country move. Because of all this busyness, I’m finding it harder and harder to devote time to writing. And I’m exhausted. So that means cutting back. While I’ve enjoyed hosting WUW with Jaime for the past two years, it’s a big time commitment, one I can no longer fit into my weekly schedule. I’ve loved getting to know all of you through WUW, and I really hope the connections we’ve made will continue through other means, but writing and family need to be my main priorities right now. Thanks for all your participation and best of luck with your writing endeavors!

Here’s a letter Jaime put together on behalf of both of us. I think it sums everything up nicely:

After a good deal of thought and discussion, Erin and I have reached the decision to wind down What’s Up Wednesday. We started this little blog hop in April of 2013, and it has been two years of making so many awesome connections with writer friends like you, sharing “what’s up” each and every week. You have provided accountability and encouragement to us on this writing journey, and for that we are more grateful than you will ever know.

You might be wondering why What’s Up Wednesday is coming to an end, so we figure you deserve an explanation: In short, we would like to place our focus more on writing and less on blogging. Over time, What’s Up Wednesday has strayed a bit from the writing and has moved more toward the other headings we have been using, which is fine, but this blog hop was always intended to be mainly about the writing. Always the writing. In order to get back to that focus on our WiPs, we would like to take part in more writing intensives as they crop up throughout the year. As most of these intensives include a weekly check-in post of some kind, we both feel that coupling these posts with a regular What’s Up Wednesday post is far too time-consuming. Time that could be spent on our WiPs and on that pesky little thing called family.

SO, while What’s Up Wednesday is drawing to a close, we still hope to touch base with you in a variety of ways around the interwebs through social media and the many writing intensives and other fun events hosted here and elsewhere. We hope to do a Month In Review type of post at the end of each month, but this will simply be an informal rundown of the reading, writing, and other life stuff we did over the course of the month. You’re welcome to join us, though there won’t be a link-up of any kind. Maybe a hashtag? We haven’t really thought that far ahead, to be honest.

Some writing- and reading-related things to look forward to on the horizon:

  • Tracey Neithercott’s YA Book Club → This month we’re reading RED QUEEN by Victoria Aveyard and will be posting our reviews and discussing it on our blogs on Monday, March 30th. You should join us!
  • The YA Buccaneers Spring Writing Bootcamp 2015 → Tentatively scheduled for April and May. Writing, goal-setting, accountability, and loads of inspiration. Sounds pretty much perfect, don't you think?
  • The Ready. Set. WRITE! summer intensive → Hosted by a group of ladies that includes Erin and me, this writing intensive runs from June right through August. Many of you have joined us in the past and we look forward to writing and revising alongside you again this summer. Stay tuned for further details!
  • Spontaneous writing parties on Twitter → There always seems to be a cluster of writers working on their WiPs all throughout the day and evening, popping onto Twitter and doing sprints together, keeping one another accountable. You should give it a try sometime!
  • NaNoWriMo → We’re sure you’re all more than aware of this November writing event.

Should you wish to continue doing What’s Up Wednesday, we invite you to do so. There will not be a link-up on our blogs, but you are welcome to keep posting with the WUW headings. If you should choose to do so, we would ask respectfully that you not give us attribution in your posts and that you would also discontinue use of the WUW buttons as we will no longer be moderating. (With regards to the buttons, as the images were paid for, there is the concern that this might open up legal issues pertaining to their use.) 

Again, we would like to thank you for taking part in our blog hop and for keeping us encouraged week in and week out. You are wonderful people! We hope to cross paths with you all, but if we don’t, we wish you all the best on your writing journey!



36 comments:

  1. Thanks to both of you for hosting this these past two years, it's been wonderful to meet so many other writers and bloggers. :) Best of luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I'm glad you've enjoyed taking part! :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about WUW coming to an end, but I'll definitely be keeping up with the other writing challenges. Thank you for hosting for so long and best of luck with the move! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tough decision, but the time was right to move on. Glad you plan on jumping in with some of the writing intensives Jaime listed. I'm sure we'll see you around a lot! :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for all your work hosting WuW, and best of luck with the homeschooling and your writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Cole! And thanks so much for your participation and your dedication to commenting on others' blogs! :)

      Delete
  4. Aww, I'm bummed! WUW is pretty much the only thing that's keeping me blogging. :-) I'm going to miss catching up with everyone on a weekly basis, but I absolutely understand your time commitment issues, and I think dedicating more energy to writing is a wonderful mindset. Thanks so much for the two years you've hosted, Erin -- it's been fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to bum you out! We plan on doing monthly wrap up posts, and I'm hoping that will keep my blog from completely dying. Feel free to join in if you like! RSW is coming up soon, so that means a weekly post too (Assuming you're hosting again? Say yes, please!!!) If only there was double the time in a day. Thanks for participating, Katy! And I agree, it's been fantastic! :)

      Delete
  5. I am BUMMED about this. This blog hop really kept me blogging and I am sorry to see it go! But thank you for all of your time and energy to create this to begin with. I've made so many new bloggy friends. Good luck with your own writing, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad that you're bummed but happy to hear you've enjoyed WUW. Part of me is bummed too, but it was time. And you're very welcome. Thanks for joining in and don't be a stranger! Good luck with your writing too, Rachel! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm sad to see it go. I had so much fun, thank you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had fun, and you're welcome! :)

      Delete
  7. Really sad to see the blog hop end, but wish you both good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mere! And good luck to you too! :)

      Delete
  8. As I said on Twitter and Jaime's blog, "You are amazing and thank you for hosting!" We will definitely stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebekah! And stay in touch for sure! I'm really hoping the writing connections we've made through WUW will keep going! :)

      Delete
  9. Best of luck with your future writing endeavours! Thanks for hosting for so long and enabling connections to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad to see this draw to a close, but thank you SO MUCH for hosting! I still plan to keep updated with you and Jaime no matter what. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And this won't be it for hosting, thanks to RSW! So looking forward to that! And for sure keep in touch! :)

      Delete
  11. I've loved WUW and am sad to see it drawing to a close, but I totally understand! I hope your move goes well and you find all the time to write :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed participating! It's been a really positive experience, and now hopefully there will be room for other positive experiences! :)

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed this. It was nice to sit back and reflect on the last week and see what all others were up to - a great break :) Good luck with your continued writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear WUW was a nice time of reflection for you! That makes me feel like it was worth it. Good luck to you as well! :)

      Delete
  13. Sad to see WUW coming to an end. Hopefully we can all connect in other writerly ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm sad too but looking forward to trying some new things. I'm glad you enjoyed participating! And yes, definitely keep up those connections! Feel free to drop me a line any time!

      Delete
  14. Thanks so much for bringing us all together each week and for letting us get a peek into your writing life! Good luck on the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Thanks for joining in each week! :)

      Delete
  15. Best of luck with the move and homeschooling! I'm really going to miss What's Up Wednesday -- it's been a great, fun apart of my routine for so long now, and I've met some amazing faces through it. So I'll bid it a sad farewell, but I'll still be checking in on you, Jaime, and all the regulars. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed participating in WUW, and we hope to see you around the writing community even now that it's ended! :)

      Delete
  16. Thank you to you and Jaime for dreaming up WUW and hosting it these past two years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Thank you for taking part! :)

      Delete
  17. Thank you so much for hosting this and bringing this community together. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Thanks for joining us on Wednesdays! :)

      Delete
  18. Just came from Jaime's! Totally understandable. And holy crap, I can't believe you homeschool… HUGE props to you…

    ReplyDelete
  19. Erin, thank you so much for doing WUW for so long. It's been wonderful to meet so many people, including you. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete