Wednesday, 18 March 2015

What's Up Wednesday

In case you’re new to WUW, it’s a blog hop created by my sister Jaime and me, intended to help writers keep in touch with one another. If you’d like to participate, please sign up on the linky below, and be sure to spread some writerly encouragement around to at least a few other people taking part. Also, please remember to link back to our host blogs and/or use one of the WUW buttons. Thanks!

What I’m Reading:

I’m supposed to be reading Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier and Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard, but I haven’t made much headway. Reading time has been super scarce lately. I need to pull up my socks if I want to finish on time for Tracey Neithercott's YA Book Club at the end of the month.


What I’m Writing:

In the last week, I’ve written about 4700 words. I recently had a breakthrough that’s making act 3 of my WIP more interesting and also more complicated. I’m trying my best to pull it off though. It just goes to show that no matter how much you plan, the  creative process still throws some surprises at you along the way. I’m getting very close to the end of this book, which also means the end of my trilogy, and while I need to hurry up and finish before we move, I’m not at all prepared for the emotional fallout of closing off this story and saying goodbye to these characters. In a word (my favourite word actually): Bittersweet.

My writing goal this week: Still going with my not so long term goal of working my butt off to finish before we move. I have around nine scenes left, some of which are pretty long. Who am I kidding? This whole freaking book is pretty long.

What Works For Me:

Working on my entire trilogy at the same time. I’ve heard differing points of view on this issue. Some say not to start writing the next book, because an agent/editor might want to make drastic changes. Others say it’s a good idea to write the whole thing at once so you can address any consistency issues before the first book is in print. Obviously, I’m in the second camp.

I decided early on that even if I didn’t have an agent or any publishing prospects, I wanted to power through and finish the entire story. I went with my inspiration and that's provided the motivation I needed to get this far. These characters grabbed hold of me in a way that I’ve never experienced before, and the thought of working on something new before their story was told just wasn’t an option for me. Not to mention, I recently discovered a smallish plot hole in book one (Envision) that needs to be fixed all this time later. I plan to reread the whole trilogy once I’m done revising Engrave and Enlighten, just to make sure everything is smooth, consistent, and plot hole free.

What Else Is New:

We celebrated my son’s birthday with cupcakes from our favourite peanut free bakery, 3D glow-in-the-dark pirate themed mini golf, and dinner/coffee with the in-laws. It was a fun day. Even managed to squeeze in a little book shopping. Because after packing 40 boxes of books for our move, you know I need to buy more.

The hubby and I finished season 2 of The 100. I’m not sure I’ve ever watched a show with so many plot holes or blatantly incorrect science (come on, at least try to convince us you did some research), but I’m STILL completely addicted. It also cracks me up that half the cast of Battlestar Galactica has been on it. Kind of funny seeing as The 100 is basically Battlestar-lite. My favourite character? Octavia. A badass girl played by a cool Canadian actress. Can’t wait for season 3 and to maybe check out the books sometime.

Other than that, it’s renovations and packing as usual. To those of you who passed along well wishes for my son last week, I should mention that the doctor decided against surgery at the last minute. I’m hoping that was the right judgment call, but I’m glad he didn’t have to go through the experience. Thanks for your kind thoughts and comments!

So what’s up with you lately?


18 comments:

  1. Hooray! It's always great to have a breakthrough! I hope you continue to plough through your WIP like an absolute boss, even though I'm sure saying goodbye to these characters will be very hard for you. I think it's great you've stuck with them until their story's told, though - some characters just won't be quiet until you've given them a voice!

    I never knew how much I wanted to play 3D glow-in-the-dark pirate themed mini golf until you said it, but now I really want to play it - that sounds like so much fun! It sounds like your son had a pretty amazing birthday, and I'm glad to hear he didn't have to have surgery.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin! I'm hopping over from Emma's site. Lovely place you have here. You mentioned Tracey N. I haven't seen her in forever - cyberly speaking. I so have to hop over there, too. Happy birthday to you son! And The 100 ... yeah, I know. But I'm totally fangirl over it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the thing about the creative process - even if you outline, it always surprises you! Best of luck finishing that draft!

    I'm in the same camp with working on a whole series at once. I couldn't let the story go that easily!

    I've recently started watching The 100, and it really is addictive. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4700 words is awesome! Good luck with your goal :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking of starting The 100 but wasn't sure. So I'll be looking into a little more (even with plot holes). Congrats on all that writing! I know several authors who do an entire series at once, although it's not recommended. Writing is a personal thing-can't always go by rules and norms but what works for you. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for a breakthrough and all that writing! Happy birthday to your son too. I have played glow in the dark mini golf before (though here it was "monster" themed) and it was so fun. And YES I am 25. haha! Good luck with everything this week Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with powering though to the end. You can do it! *Cheers** Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I naïvely didn't know until a few years ago that writers nowadays aren't "supposed to" plan their own series, or even more than one book with the same characters. Oh well. You can't unwrite a series, and I would've written series and sagas for my characters no matter what anyway. To me, that says more about the crisis state of traditional publishing than about writers. A writer, not some arbitrary power than be, should decide whether something needs a sequel or to be expanded into a series or family saga.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of working on the entire trilogy at once. I usually write one book at a time, but for one series, I wrote book two first, and only then book one, and it worked better that way. 4700 words is great. Keep up the good work.

    My What's Up Wednesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's really cool that you're writing the entire series at once! You get to know the characters and the world so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great progress. When I do a series sometimes I absolutely have to start some scenes on book two or the characters just won't leave me alone about it. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After I finished my first draft of my very first completed manuscript, I went right into writing the sequel. I just couldn't let the characters go. I've heard the same things as you- don't bother with the sequel, especially if the first never gets published, then you're just wasting your time. But I don't think any writing is wasting your time. I did end up majorly revising the first MS for an R&R which meant major changes for the second, but the first never did get published anyway. I finally shelved it all, but those characters still haven't let me go and I want to go back one day and revisit them both. So after that long explanation, what I'm trying to say is that I totally get writing all three at once. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a MUCH more productive week than I did on the writing front. I only managed to write those 600 words I did when we were Skyping. #fail I just haven't had the motivation this week and was pretty short on time as well. Bleh. I did enjoy our Skype date though, so that's something. You're getting so close to the end of your WiP! Can't wait to read it! :D

    I'm glad you're hooked on The 100 too. As you know, I can't help scoffing at the lack of infection and the quackery relating to medicine on the show, but it's addictive nonetheless. I'm bummed that we're all caught up and now have to wait until the fall for more episodes. I guess it's time to find something else to binge on, right?

    We're both going to have to bust our butts to get RED QUEEN read in time. Me especially, considering I haven't even started it yet. I'm looking forward to it, though, so that's good. Hope you have an awesome week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm reading Sapphire Blue for the read along too :) I want to read Red Queen but I'm not sure I'll be able to before the book club date. Maybe I can jump in on the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW--finishing a trilogy. That's a huge accomplishment! I hope you reward yourself generously for it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the word "bittersweet," too. And I need to start RED QUEEN soon, otherwise my Book Club post will be very short :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it makes sense in writing the trilogy before hand. That way you can see where the entire story is heading so there won't be any plot holes and other inconsistencies. Now that the 100 is over I've become somewhat obsessed with The Flash. Like I need another show. Ha. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 40 boxes of books...Hah! That sounds just like our last move. We had more boxes of books that everything else combined. I love books in print, but boy does having a kindle cut down on the amount of books I have to drag around everywhere.

    Hooray for characters that hook you like that! I can't wait to meet them. It's so funny as writers to have people living in our head like that. I think it will be kind of weird to turn some of mine loose on the world. ;)

    Happy Birthday to your son!! And I wasn't around the interwebs last week, but I'm glad that he is okay and didn't have to have surgery. That must have been so stressful for you guys. I can't even imagine.

    Hope you have a wonderful week! I can't believe you are trying to finish your book before the move, but know that we're all pulling for you! :)

    ReplyDelete