Wednesday, 4 February 2015

What's Up Wednesday

In case you’re new to WUW, it’s a blog hop created by my sister Jaime and me, intended to help writers keep in touch with one another. If you’d like to participate, please sign up on the linky below, and be sure to spread some writerly encouragement around to at least a few other people taking part. Also, please remember to link back to our host blogs and/or use one of the WUW buttons. Thanks!

What I’m Reading:

Because I’m an idiot of monumental proportions, I’m now juggling three books when I don’t even have time to read one.  The other night, I was craving pretty prose, picked up my copy of Blue Lily, Lily Blue, and got sucked it. Seriously, what did I think was going to happen? Sigh.

What I’m Writing:

Well, I didn’t meet my goal this week. Not even close. I have a good excuse though, which you can read about below. I did squeak out 1600 words, which included rewriting the end of a scene that didn’t even factor into my goal, and I also organized some of my notes for the scenes I was supposed to write. Concentration was pretty much impossible this week, and I’m hoping I don’t get completely derailed in the next while. Again, see below.

What Works For Me:

Um…not much this week, apparently. Sometimes your bag of tricks just runs out or doesn’t have what you need in it. I’m giving myself permission for writing not to work right now though. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, see below. (Hmm, do most people even know what broken records are anymore?)

What Else is New:

So my family just found out we’re moving 4000 km away to New Brunswick. Whether my husband got the job transfer he applied for was the news we were waiting on last week. Remember that trip we took to the Canadian Maritimes back in November?  Well, it wasn’t just for fun. We were actually on a “recon mission” to see if we wanted to move there, and the answer was yes.  There are still a lot of things that have to fall into place in order for this to happen, but hopefully it’ll all work out. Meanwhile, we’re in panic mode trying to finish up house renovations, getting rid of half of what we own, and making all sorts of other arrangements. Let me tell you, prep for a cross country move is beyond insane, especially when you’re not even sure yet what kind of time line you’re working with.  It’s exciting, BUSY, exhausting, and pretty darn scary all at the same time.

And that’s why my brain has been incapable of concentrating on writing lately. I really wish I’d been able to finish this WIP before our life was thrown into chaos and adventure (we’re kind of hobbit-y when it comes to adventures), but things happened a lot quicker than we anticipated. Maybe once the initial surprise wears off and we’ve made a nice dent in our moving arrangements I’ll be able to focus on writing again? Not sure. Crossing my fingers though.

Well, that’s my news. So how was your week?

30 comments:

  1. Best of luck with the big move. I think time away from writing to focus on that is a very sensible decision :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping I won't need to take too much time away, and I intend on squeezing in writing whenever I can, assuming I ever regain the ability to focus lol. :)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes you just have to take a step back from writing to concentrate on other things, and to prevent yourself from tearing your hair out! I'm sure once everything else is sorted you'll feel much more refreshed when you return to your WIP. :D Best of luck with the move, and have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure! I tried sitting down to write a few times this week, and it just didn't work. We'll see how things go once the shock of our decision to move has worn off. Hope you have a lovely week too! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a big life change. When I have to move, my word count falls dramatically as I'm learning my way around.

    Had a good laugh at your three-book juggling act. Maybe this week you'll add one more to the mix? ;-)

    Don't let your goals get in the way of the work you've actually done this week. (Just go back and modify your goals to include rewriting a scene!)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a huge change, and even though it's one we hoped for it's still kind of a shock. I'm hoping once I get used to the idea I can start to focus again. We'll see. I could be packing with my left hand and typing with my right lol.

      Oh boy, I better not add a fourth book to the stack! That would make me officially crazy, I think!

      And I agree about not letting my goals get in the way of what I got done. I was thrilled to get anything on the page at all. This week I'm skipping the goal and what will be, will be. Maybe without the pressure surprising things will happen! :)

      Delete
  4. I always try to read more books at once than I have time for. :P

    Good luck with the move! I'm sure you'll have time for writing when things settle down. Enjoy your new adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Way to aim high, Emma!

      And thanks! We just found out we'll have at least a few months to work with, so that helps a lot! :)

      Delete
  5. wow, congrats on the big move. Good luck, I'm sure things will get back to normal soon. thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping I can focus again once I get used to the idea. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, big move! Good luck with everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a huge move, good luck with it! And 1600 is an awesome amount of words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome about the move! I really want to move to the Maritimes some day, it's so beautiful out there, =) Hope everything goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We're pretty excited about it, even though it's more than a bit overwhelming. I've always wanted to move to the Maritimes, so stressful or not, this is a dream come true. And I agree that it's beautiful there. The combination of forest and ocean in New Brunswick is breathtaking. :)

      Delete
  9. It's a beautiful area. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading books when I'm stressed is a coping mechanism for me as well. Congratulations on the big move! That's exciting and scary. Good luck with the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no better way to recharge than to kick back with a good book and a cup of tea. I need to find more time to do that somehow! And thank you! We're a bit overwhelmed at the moment, but once we're through all the nastiness of packing and making arrangements, I'm sure the excitement will kick in more! :)

      Delete
  11. Well, you know I'm super envious of your big move. (Not so much the move itself, but the new location for sure.) Sadly, I think Mr. Fink has his heels dug into Central Alberta. Blehhhhh. Though, really. Not sure why we're here when everyone else has already moved away or is moving away. I hope everything goes smoothly from start to finish. :-)

    Three books at one time is tricky to juggle, especially when they're all sort of similar (in this case, YA). I have three books on the go, but they're wildly different from one another, so it's easy enough to set one down and pick up another. I guess when you're in the mood for something, you're in the mood for something, right?

    As for writing goals, I think right now and going forward "write something" might be appropriate lol. It's so tough to set any kind of goal when your life is in such upheaval. I guess the trick is just finding small ways to keep yourself tethered to your story so you don't lose momentum. (Says the girl who has lost momentum more than she's had it. :P)

    Hope this week is awesome and that you're able to tick things off your list like crazy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not much to envy about de-junking, packing, and endless other arrangements. I need to keep reminding myself how much we loved NB when we were there and that eventually (hopefully) it'll all be worth it. At least you guys will have a place to stay if you ever want to visit the Maritimes on vacation.

      That's exactly why I picked up BLLB the other night. I was craving some of Maggie Stiefvater's prose because I knew it would suck me in and take my mind off all the other craziness going on. I figured that was more important than being disciplined to finish the other books I'd started--not that they aren't worth finishing, just I needed a particular kind of story this week.

      I figure I'll forget about setting goals for now and just sneak in writing when and if I can. I was able to get a bit done last night because my brain was being somewhat cooperative, so that's good. Productivity is unpredictable these days, but I'll keep trying.

      Hope your week is awesome too! I'll keep you updated. :)

      Delete
  12. It's hard to focus when a move is going on! I do find moving to be inspiring though. I get all sorts of insane ideas. Maybe you will too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! And I agree that, although overwhelming, moving is inspiring. Like you said, I'm hoping that once we settle in the story ideas will multiply! :)

      Delete
  13. That's a big move, but exciting! I love moving although my husband isn't so partial. ;) I think you can safely allow yourself a break when you have so much organizing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's big as far as pulling the whole thing off and emotionally too. We've been in our current home for over 12 years, so this is where we've raised our son, plus it's the longest I've ever lived in one place. Tough to go, but exciting as well! I'm definitely going easy on myself by taking a break if I need it (which I have this week), but if I can relax into the writing and take my mind off the stress of the move, I'll take that option too! :)

      Delete
  14. Congrats on your husband's promotion, and I agree with other commenters that a cross-country move is a completely valid reason for not meeting your goal this week. Might be time to scale back your expectations a little on that front, at least until the heavy lifting is done, eh? I've only been to NB once, but it was gorgeous. And hey, you'll get all four seasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I sure hope the "heavy lifting" is done soon, so I can regain my writing focus. While it's work, it's also an outlet for me, and I miss spending the time on it already. Ah well. Such is life, especially when you're moving!

      New Brunswick is definitely a gorgeous--tons of trees and the ocean! A whole lot different than the prairies, that's for sure! :)

      Delete