Wednesday, 27 August 2014

What's Up Wednesday

In case you’re new to WUW, it’s a blog hop created by my sister Jaime and me, intended to help writers keep in touch with one another. If you’d like to participate, please sign up on the linky below, and be sure to spread some writerly encouragement around to at least a few other people taking part. Also, please remember to link back to our host blogs and/or use one of the WUW buttons. Thanks!

What I’m Reading:

I finished The Peculiars, but about halfway through it lost steam for me. Yes, that was a steampunk joke. Lame, I know.

Then, I read Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins, which was well worth the wait. While I think Lola is still my favourite out of the three, Isla hit me in a way the other two didn’t, probably because I found myself relating more to Isla. In an interview I recently read, Stephanie Perkins said she’d crush on St. Claire, date Cricket, and marry Josh. I wasn’t so sure about that, but after reading, I think I might have to agree. I also remember Sperkins saying part of the reason Isla was delayed was because she wanted the book to have heart. Well, it has tons of heart—sometimes a broken heart, but it oozes heart nonetheless. Finally, I have to admit that I got all sniffly when I read Stephanie’s thank you to her husband in the acknowledgements. It was the epitome of sweet. So sad to be done this series.

What I’m Writing:

This week I passed the 45k mark on Enlighten, and right now I’m working on a string of small scenes meant to set up a whole lot of big things. Changes are just around the corner for my mc, and I’m both excited and nervous because those changes are going to be challenging to write. I hope I can pull it off the way I see it playing out in my imagination.

What Inspires Me Right Now:

After envying everyone that mentioned having fall weather last week, temperatures finally dipped and we’ve had a little taste of autumn here too. Crisp air, rain, and pumpkin chai tea are gearing me up for when my favourite season officially arrives, and that’s making me want to get all sorts of things accomplished. Bring on the pumpkins, wooly scarves, and colourful leaves! I’m ready!

What Else I’ve Been Up To:

We went to see The Giver the other day and left the theatre feeling very inspired. I thought they did a stellar job adapting it to the big screen, even though certain things were different than the book. There was something very powerful about watching Jonas, the main character, go through an awakening of sorts and seeing the memories the Giver passed on to him. It was one of those movies that reminds you what it means to be human, a theme that’s especially on my mind lately while I write. My son and I have both read the book, and now my husband plans to as well. (He cheated and watched the movie first, which is kind of against the rules in our house, but we forgive him.)

I also watched Dead Poets Society with my son yesterday. It was emotional watching it, especially considering Robin William’s passing, but exciting to share something so profound with my son. I’d been waiting a very long time for that, and I hope it has the same lasting impact on him that it did on me. In any case, he thoroughly enjoyed it.

Other than that, I haven’t been up to anything spectacularly out of the ordinary, although I’ve been busy. We jump back into homeschooling on Tuesday, so I’m getting everything in order for that, which is always a hefty task. I’m looking forward to it though. My son and I often sit across the table from one another and work together. I love that.


So what’s up with you this fine Wednesday?

31 comments:

  1. It's been chucking it down with rain here lately, so there's been a real autumnal feel about. I'm torn. I love the autumn, but I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to summer.

    Congratulations on 45k! Sounds like you're at a really exciting section. Enjoy!

    Have a great week ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could use some more rainy days for inspiration! The temperature warmed up a bit today and I find that disappointing lol. This summer really did feel short though.

      Yeah, things are getting exciting and very challenging in my WIP. Lots of fun! Hope you have a great week too! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh the fall weather, love it! :-) It's been raining a lot here, but it makes me want to cuddle with a book or my writing. As I have now less than a month to work in my day job, it might very well happen :-)
    Congrats on 45k!!!
    I also loved ISLA and recognized myself in her too! Hope you have a great Wednesday, Erin and a wonderful week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is by far the most inspiring season! I hope you do get time to curl up with some good books and writing. As for Isla, I got kind of teary at certain points because I felt like I just got her. I'm glad you did too. Have a wonderful week yourself, Elodie! :)

      Delete
  3. Aww I'm glad you found that in a book (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when you feel like you really connect with characters. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm loving the cooler weather here lately, though I think it'll be warming up again. I can't wait until autumn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, after I posted this the temperature spiked up, but I think it's supposed to cool down again. I'm hoping this is it for the hot weather though! Autumn is by far the most superior season. :D

      Delete
  5. I've got to see the Giver. My kids went without me, darn them. And I've really got to pick up Isla. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you feel as inspired by it as much as we did. Hmm, do you think you should ground your kids for not taking you along to see it? ;)

      Enjoy ISLA when you pick up a copy!

      Delete
  6. Just when I was looking forward to pumpkin everything, the temperature here jumped back up. 90 today :(

    I read THE GIVER for the first time less than a year ago and I'm looking forward to watching the movie. I'm not thrilled they aged the MC, but the previews look cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I posted this it got hot here too. Blah. Not as hot as where you are though, thank goodness. It's supposed to cool down again right away though, so hopefully that means fall is officially on its way!

      I read THE GIVER for the first time as an adult as well, and I'd actually read GATHERING BLUE by Lois Lowry first. I'm not really clear on what order they go in. I wasn't sure about them aging the mc when I saw the preview, but I ended up being very satisfied with his portrayal. He still seemed very innocent and captured the essence of the character even though he was a bit older. There was a smidge or romance, but it was pretty minor. I hope you enjoy it when you get to see it! :)

      Delete
  7. Yikes! It's been a little while since I stopped in. You've got a newer profile picture, and it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My son took that photo and somehow he managed to make me look presentable lol. :)

      Delete
  8. Hooray for pumpkin weather! Though down here we just go back to "Spring". Hah! Still, Fall means Halloween which is basically my kind of happy.

    And congrats on passing the 45K mark! Go you! Hope all those big changes come out just the way you imagine them.

    I haven't read Isla yet. I was wondering if I should read the other two again before I read it. You know, prolong the goodness. ;)

    Hope you have an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be perfectly happy if it was perpetual fall around here. The pumpkins need to hurry up and ripen though because my hubby wants to make our pumpkin brew on time for Canadian Thanksgiving and that doesn't leave much time! I suppose your fall wouldn't be too crisp, would it? Halloween makes me happy too. I think I might even like it more than Christmas.

      And thanks! It doesn't feel like I've cranked out 45k on this WIP yet for some reason, maybe because I still have so far too go. That's okay by me because I have bittersweet feelings about finishing. Those big changes I'm going to be writing will be challenging but fun, I think. I like setting up writing challenges for myself. It keeps things exciting!

      I wanted to reread ANNA and LOLA before devouring ISLA, but there just wasn't time. I'll definitely do that someday though because these are some of my favourites and they'll probably end up good and tattered eventually. :)

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to read Isla!! My fave of the series is Anna and the French Kiss, so we'll see how this one goes! :)
    My hubby and I have been watching Robin Williams movies lately too. Patch Adams, Hook, Jumanji. Dead Poet's Society is next up.
    And yes, totally ready for fall to come. It's my favorite season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! It was different than the other two in certain ways, but I think Stephanie Perkins's writing style and voice is still consistent and uniquely hers. We were looking on Apple TV the other day and I counted at least 10 Robin Williams movies I want to watch with my son. Awakenings and Good Will Hunting and Good Morning, Vietnam are all so good too. He did a lot of awesome family movies as well, which I admire. Fall is my favourite too, and I wish it would last all year. :)

      Delete
  10. Dead Poets Society is one of my favorite movies. I cry every time.
    Congrats on passing the 45k mark. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's one of your favourites too. It amazes me that a movie that affected me so much as a teen still moves me now. I was pretty darn weepy when we watched it too. In fact, I think it hits me harder now that I'm an adult. Well, and considering recent events with Robin Williams. So sad.

      And thanks! It doesn't feel like I've written 45k on this WIP yet for some reason. Not that I'm arguing lol! :)

      Delete
  11. We're still having a heatwave by Upstate New York, which isn't very good for my eczema. At least this means I can get in some days by the outdoor pool before it closes on 5 September. I wish they'd keep it open longer instead of closing up soon after Labor Day, since often we still have nice weather for outdoor swimming into October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I posted this the temperature got warmer here too, but thankfully not to the level of a heat wave. I think it's supposed to get cool again right away, so I'm glad about that. Have fun swimming! :)

      Delete
  12. I just finished Isla too and OMG I agree with you and SPerkins--Josh is my favorite by far. Moody artists FTW. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a great example of a flawed character written well. I kind of thought Sperkins might be exaggerating when she said that about him, but after reading ISLA, it totally makes sense. Gotta love the broody ones. I also love how she wove together all three stories so that by the time the series focused on Isla and Josh we already had a good idea of who they are. Can't wait to read whatever she writes next! :)

      Delete
  13. Can't wait to read Isla. I don't read a lot of contemporary, that series rocks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read a ton of contemporary either (although a bit more this summer), but these are some of my favourites. I sometimes wonder if Sperkins set the bar so high for contemporary that she ruined me for other books in that genre lol. :)

      Delete
  14. We're still summer, but the weather has been unusually cool. We should still be hot, humid, and miserable, but we're not. Bring on fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temperature spiked up again here today, but it's supposed to dip again. I love an early fall, but I hope that doesn't mean we'll get snow in a month. Ah the joys of living in Canada. :)

      Delete
  15. I'm getting all nostalgic thinking about fall! Loved Isla, made me cry, so good! I can't wait until I can share certain movies with my kids (Pride and Prejudice, Clueless, Empire Records, Stand By Me) Dead Poet's Society is definitely up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fall is the perfect time for all things nostalgic. It must be natural instinct before going into hibernation mode or something lol. I cried when I read ISLA too! Parts of it just hit me right in the gut. So glad I'm not the only one who got all weepy. Books and movies are milestones in our house. I think that's one of the most fun parts of being a parent. I haven't seen Empire Records in ages! And I'm feeling the pull of Pride and Prejudice now too. :)

      Delete
  16. I need to read Isla immediately. That is great backstory on Sperkins. I love it.

    ReplyDelete