Monday, 4 August 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #9

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, and I hope you’re looking forward to another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive with the purpose of writing, revising, or planning like crazy, plus a way to keep each other accountable. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief (2-3 lines per heading tops) in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goals:

My goals were to write another 4000 words on Enlighten and fix a plot problem that was keeping me from finishing a particular scene. I ended up writing 6300 words and worked out the plot issue so I could move on.

My goals for this week:

I’m aiming for my usual 4000 word goal.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:

He swallows hard. “Sometimes when I listen to him talk, I hear these grains of truth, and for a split second I get him. For a split second, I know I could just as easily cross that line to where evil convinces itself it’s good.”

The biggest challenge I faced this week:

Trying to beat the heat and a massive headache that decided to stick around for days. As far as actual writing, since I’m working on the third book in a trilogy, I’m finding it tricky to come up with fresh ways to describe settings I’ve already used.

Something I love about my WIP:

That my main characters question their own goodness.


And now for our last giveaway…

The winner of Alison’s writer’s care package is:

LEANDRA WALLACE

Congratulations, Leandra! Have fun with the goodies in your parcel from Alison! We hope they provide a little pick me up on your way to finishing RSW!


18 comments:

  1. Whoot for surpassing your goals!!! I can't believe it's the last month of RSW. Time flies. Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your goals AGAIN!!! You are so inspiring! Also, can you send a bit of the heat and sun our way? We have had rain for days. :(

    Hope you have another productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that line. Sorry about the headache. Hoping it goes away soon and you can keep up your momentum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay on your word progress, and I love the satisfaction that comes w/fixing plot holes. They're such annoying buggers. And I'm so excited to have won! I've already contacted Alison! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "That my main characters question their own goodness."

    I love characters like this!

    Congrats on meeting your goals this past week and fixing the pesky plot issue. Hope this week is just as productive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I love that line. Some of the best characters are ones who walk the line between good and evil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hate those lingering headaches! I sometimes get migraines that come back day after day, so I feel your pain. Love that line! Hope this week is productive for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to surpass your goals! :) I really like that line. Hope you have another productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing so well on your goals. I love the line you shared, there is a lot of conflict in it. Headaches that just won't go away are the worst, especially when you can't just lay in a dark room with your eyes closed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on meeting your goal this week, even while dealing with a lingering headache. I cannot think or function when I have a headache, so that's really impressive. I know what you mean about setting. I feel that way sometimes when it's only one book, so I can't even imagine what a trilogy would be like. Good luck with getting 4000 words this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love the snippet you shared today! Congrats on meeting your goals last week and good luck hitting them this week as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's hard to work on anything, writing or otherwise, when the heat is so oppressive. It's particularly difficult when the computer gets very hot and shouldn't really be run during the daytime, to conserve energy.

    Congratulations on completing your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - you're really doing great with the word count. Congrats. It's wonderful to see characters questioning their own 'goodness'. And good luck with that headache. The weather has been difficult lately.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a great line! And I'm so jealous of your consistent word counts. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah yes, when characters question themselves... when they see how its possible to cross that invisible line... love it!! Great job with exceeding your goals too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're KILLING it, Erin. Wow----such an inspiration! And in the summer too--I totally struggle to write during the summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on writing so many new words this week, and exceeding your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  18. THANKS, GUYS! I PLAN TO RIDE THE WAVE OF YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT ALL WEEK! HAPPY WRITING ALL! :)

    ReplyDelete