Monday, 18 August 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #11

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, and I hope you’re looking forward to another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive with the purpose of writing, revising, or planning like crazy, plus a way to keep each other accountable. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief (2-3 lines per heading tops) in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goals:

I didn’t set a goal last week, seeing as my husband was on holidays. While I took some time off from other responsibilities to relax, I still managed to sneak in a fair amount of time for writing while my boys were off at sports events.  My word count ended up being 6200.

My goals for this week:

Things are getting busy with the school season just around the bend, plus I have some brainstorming to do for my next scene, but I think I should be able to get out at least 3k.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:

I wish he’d crack a joke right now, mock the hell out of every word I just said, if only so I’d know they hit their mark enough to jolt him out of his shame. His eyes are wide. Two gray moons in his pale face. They look naked without his glasses, too exposed, as though I can peer right inside him and see every foul detail he wants to hide.

The biggest challenge I faced this week:

Keeping up my motivation and momentum when I was writing in fits and starts this week. 

Something I love about my WIP:

Two of my characters ended up becoming close friends, which is something I didn’t originally plan. Their relationship just naturally grew out of their circumstances in the story, and I had fun exploring that this week. I love how you can plan all you want, but sometimes characters have a mind of their own and there are still plenty of surprises along the way.

Please Note: Next Monday will be our final check-in post for RSW. Can you believe it? This summer has flown by! Seeing as RSW will be wrapping up, instead of posting goals we'd encourage everyone to recap their overall writing progress for the summer. Let us know how you did!

Also, on Thursday August 28th, we'll be hosting a beta/CP match-up. Stay tuned for further details next Monday!

19 comments:

  1. Great job sneaking writing time in! I love it when character relationships develop naturally of their own accord and they take on a life of their own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great excerpt! And it's so fun when characters react to one another in a way you didn't see coming. I had the opposite thing happen with two of my characters the past week, in that they totally didn't like each other. It was fun to write :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that excerpt and how she can see him exposed without his glasses on. Good job sneaking some writing time in. :-) Good luck this week, Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love when characters develop minds of their own and go against your plans! Makes for a more authentic story, I think. Great excerpt you shared, too--loved the observations. Hope this week is just as productive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this: "Two gray moons in his pale face." Hope you have a great final week of RSW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I LOVE your excerpt. So much. The word choice is superb. Second, sneaking in writing time is always fun because it makes it feel more special. I have loved doing RSW this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when unexpected things happen organically in your story. Loved the excerpt as well. Congrats on getting over 6k in even with your husband on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe it's almost over. Good jobs sneaking in some writing this week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh I love that excerpt! And what a great word count for last week. Good luck this week. Can't believe RSW is already wrapping up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This: "I love how you can plan all you want, but sometimes characters have a mind of their own and there are still plenty of surprises along the way." YES!!! I love when that happens! Also, go you on the word count! You are making so much progress! Also, loved the excerpt - LOTS of emotion in those few words.

    Hope you have another great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it when characters go and do something unexpected. They do have a mind of their own :)
    And wow, that's a great word count! Glad to see you made so much progress despite everything else. I'll have to remember to pop by on Thursday. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love when characters end up doing things we never envisioned. I honestly don't think my first Russian historical would've made it had I not realised my female lead was really in love with her other male best friend and only pretending to prefer the guy who became the antagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous excerpt! Vivid imagery and strong word choice. Love it, love it, love it. Good luck on this week's goals. I'm sure gonna miss RSW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great word count for not setting a goal! And love the excerpt! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, that excerpt is fantastic, Erin! So evocative! Awesome job with all your progress this week, and best of luck next week. Can't believe RSW is almost over!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome word count! Great excerpt, especially the 'mock the hell out of' part. I love it when hell is used, not sure why but I've always just liked it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR ALL THE LOVELY COMMENTS, EVERYONE! SEEING AS RSW IS WINDING DOWN NOW, I HOPE THIS LAST WEEK IS BIG TIME PRODUCTIVE FOR ALL OF YOU! PUSH THROUGH TO THE FINISH LINE WHILE I CHEER YOU ON! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww, I can't believe it's already coming to an end! Nice work on your word count this week. I also loved your excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that your characters surprised you. =) Enjoy getting to know them even more! The CP/beta match sounds like a great idea! Thanks for all you guys are doing to put this together!

    ReplyDelete