Monday, 11 August 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #10

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, and I hope you’re looking forward to another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive with the purpose of writing, revising, or planning like crazy, plus a way to keep each other accountable. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief (2-3 lines per heading tops) in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.


How I did on last week’s goals:

Last week I went with my usual goal of 4000 words and my word count ended up being 5600. I also realized after I posted that I forgot to include another goal, and that was to format my manuscript, Engrave, and send it off to Jaime for some sisterly critiquing. Formatting is a royal pain, but I got it done, and hopefully Jaime had the chance to take a peek on her flight to Paris.

My goals for this week:

My husband is on holidays for the next week, so I have no clue how much writing I'll get done. I know I'll have a chunk of time while the boys are off at a football game this weekend, but that seems like putting all my words in one basket. I think I'll skip a goal and play it by ear. No pressure this week.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:

Her hair falls in a curtain around his face, shielding him from everything and everyone but her.

The biggest challenge I faced this week:

This was a busy week—appointments, date night, the hubby’s birthday—so time was a factor. I also had to rewrite a scene that wasn’t turning out the way I wanted. There’s a lot going on in it in terms of emotion, information, and a major crisis. Getting the pacing and order of everything right is proving to be tough. Grrr.

Something I love about my WIP:

My favourite secondary character has his own romantic storyline in this WIP, and I’m enjoying writing that so much it makes me giddy. He deserves a little action.


21 comments:

  1. Great job on getting words down in a busy week! I love it when secondary characters' storylines turn out to be really fun to write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on surpassing your word goal with everything you had going on! And now I have to ask... what goes into formatting for you? Are you using a certain program that requires it? Do you write out of order and need to organize before sending the ms of? (I'm just curious, I promise. I've been spoiled by Scrivener which formats everything for me as soon as I compile.) ;)

    Good luck with your goals this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the basic ms formatting in Word, you know, page breaks, headers and all that tedious stuff. I actually use Scrivener too, but I had issues compiling my last ms and ended up doing most of my editing/formatting in Word. I really need to brush up on some of Scrivener's features for polishing off a ms, but I keep putting it off in favour of drafting. I promise I'll get it all figured out someday though lol!

      Delete
  3. I was kinda wondering what your formatting entails as well! I type my drafts up so that it's formatted as I go, so I'm nosy about everyone else's writing style. :)

    Congrats on surpassing your goal this week and even accomplishing one you didn't include in last week's RSW! And I love your no-pressure approach for this week. Seems like that'll be a great way to go. Have fun with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy be-lated birthday to your hubby! I love your no pressure idea for this week's goals. Sometimes that's the best way to go (always, if you ask me ;) ). Good job in over-shooting your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! You KILLED it this week!!!!! Wow… and YES, no pressure this week, but man, even with your hubby on holiday, sounds like you're still going to rock the word count. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband was off last week and I got barely anything done. It's a great idea to just play it by ear.
    Have fun giving your secondary character some action!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on reaching your goal despite the crazy week. Formatting's the worst. I'm trying to write with correct formatting so I don't have to change much when I'm finished. Like inserting page breaks and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on surpassing your goals! Love that your secondary character has his own intriguing story arc :). Hope this week is productive for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love that line you posted. It is full of feels, but concise still. And yay for secondary characters getting some action!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love writing storylines for secondary characters. Sometimes I end up loving them as much as if they were primary characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go on all the progress! Also, love the line you shared! Good luck this week, Erin! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the line you shared and yay on all the progress :-) Plus it´s pretty cool that Jaime was scheduled to read your WiP on her flight to Paris...and enjoy your week, time with family is important to recharge your batteries :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that idea of a no-pressure week here and there. Mine went well last week. :-) Love the line you shared, as usual, particularly because this one feels really romantic and steamy. Have a great week, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great line! After a busy week, it's always nice to have no pressure for a week. I hope you get a lot of writing done regardless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR GOALS THIS WEEK, EVERYONE, AND THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS LATEST BATCH OF ENCOURAGING COMMENTS! I'M ENJOYING MY BREAK WEEK BUT STILL HOPING TO GET A LITTLE WRITING DONE AT SOME POINT. WE SHALL SEE WHAT HAPPENS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Us girls get lucky when it comes to using hair like a curtain, it's great for that. =) Congrats on surpassing your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so jealous that you had a busy week and STILL had such great word count! Enjoy your week off!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on everything you accomplished last week! Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you love your character so much you feel he "deserves a little action." I've only dabbled in fiction writing, but I have so enjoyed creating a character that I then develop a genuine affection for. Good luck on next week's goals!

    ReplyDelete