Monday, 28 July 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #8

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, and I hope you’re looking forward to another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive with the purpose of writing, revising, or planning like crazy, plus a way to keep each other accountable. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief (2-3 lines per heading tops) in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goals:

My goal was to add 4000 words to Enlighten. Because my boys were out of town on Saturday at a football game, I had extra time to myself for writing. I got down just over 9800 words this week, which sounds great, but I know some of that will have to be chopped because of a plot issue.

My goals for this week:

I’m sticking with my 4000 word goal again and aiming to resolve my pesky plot issue. It's sort of a logistical thing that's throwing a wrench in finishing a particular scene. Bah.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:

Grueling (for me and my characters)

The biggest challenge I faced this week:

Uh…writing for 13 hours straight. I prefer to write in big blocks of time, but that was a long haul and my brain is now officially fried. Additional challenges: finding creative ways to integrate infodump and, of course, getting stumped by a plot issue that’s making me tear my hair out. I’m determined to solve it before I go bald.

Something I love about my WIP:

That my main character is constantly being forced out of her comfort zone, and as a result she’s grown and changed a lot over this series. She’s kind of taken me by the hand and dragged me out of my comfort zone with her, so I’ve grown and changed a lot too.


Moving along to our latest giveaway…

The winner of Katy’s writer’s care package is:

JESSICA LEAKE

Congratulations, Jessica! We hope you enjoy all the treats from Katy and that they motivate you during your writing sessions!  This week is our final RSW giveaway. If you’d like to win Alison’s fun care package (pictured below) then don’t forget to enter the Rafflecopter, and stop by next week for our last winner announcement.




a Rafflecopter giveaway

20 comments:

  1. Forcing characters out of their comfort zone is something I love too, but I love how it's forcing you out of yours. That's cool! Also, can you and Katy impart some of your writing vibes on me this week? 9800 words is AWESOME!!! And I'm kind of jealous of and tired from your 13 hour session. I can't remember the last time I wrote for more than 3 hours in one sitting, let alone 13!

    Hope you have another wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like writing in big blocks of time, too. I think it's because I let go completely whereas my mind is only halfway on my WIP when I'm squeezing in brief writing time between other things I have to do.

    I love the thing you love about your WIP :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh?! 13 hours straight? I could never! I like 1-2 hour blocks of time a few times throughout the day, ideally. My brain would be mush after 13 hours! Best of luck with your 4K this week, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 13 hours straight is like a dream come true. Sure, brain-fried, but that must be great to simply dive into your world like that. Good luck with the next weeks goal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I can't imagine writing for 13 hours straight. My brain would be total mush. I'm impressed that you had the tenacity to stick with it! And obviously it paid off. =) I've always wanted to have a weekend writing retreat, where I go to a hotel by myself for a weekend and just write. Somehow I have a feeling it would turn into a HGTV marathon with lots of ice cream and a little bit of writing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the words this week! Oh, those hair-tearing plot issues...the solution usually comes when you least expect it to! :P Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an amazing amount of writing this week! I, too, am amazed by your 13 hour writing streak. That is impressive; no wonder your brain is fried! Good luck this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo, you go, you! Though may I recommend chocolate and caffeine for the brain fry? ;) Happy writing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must be an Erin thing... When I get on a roll, I sometimes write for 10+ hours straight. It happens rarely, but when it does, I am absolutely brain dead for the next few days. Take some time to recover and hopefully your pesky plot issues will resolve themselves the next time you sit down to write. Good luck this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love what you said about your MC being forced out of her comfort zone. I think that is a great place to build stakes. I have done the all day almost no breaks writing thing and struggled to recover from it. It is good to get so much written, and to be that inspired, but it can be incredibly draining too. Good luck on your goals this week, Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you on feeling fried. I wrote for half the day on Saturday and almost all day Sunday, but it was difficult and challenging. (The care package helped. So Much.) Let's agree, Plot Issues need to die a slow, unhappy death.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! You did amazing! I think my brain would be beyond fried if I were in your place, but it's so impressive! Good luck with your 4k this week and resolving that plot issue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so impressed by how many words you wrote...even if you do have to throw out some. Plot issues are always difficult...maybe your fab CPs can help? Sometimes just wandering around thinking about it helps! (Once you rest your brain for awhile, of course). Hope this week is productive for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm very impressed by your 9800 words! Can you share the wealth? Pretty please? It's nice that you got that time alone while the boys were out. That makes for a much more productive writing session, I can imagine. I had a long-ish writing stint this week too, but it only yielded a measly 1400 words. O_o Ah well. I hope whatever this plot issue is, it can be worked around and that you can write yourself out of the corner, so to speak. I'm confident you'll be able to do it with very little loss of words. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. 9800 words is great. I hate plot issues. I hope that you figure it out this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Characters grow best when taken out of their comfort zones! I'm used to writing in big blocks of time, probably ever since I finally had my own longterm computer and no longer had to borrow my parents' machine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had to read your post a couple times to make sure I was understanding you right... 13 hours in one sitting?! That in itself is an amazing feat! Sorry to hear that you are having a plot issue. The answer it somewhere inside your mind, just gotta keep digging!

    Good luck figuring it out this week and getting those 4000 words. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY TO COMMENT, EVERYONE! YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT IS GREAT FUEL FOR THE WEEK AHEAD! HOPE ALL OF YOU HAVE A LOVELY WEEK FULL OF LOTS OF AWESOME WORDS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, congrats on almost 10K words last week - that's amazing! I hope you're able to figure out that plot issue. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did AWESOME, Erin...and I know you`re going to figure out this plot issue :-) Cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete