Monday, 21 July 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #7

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, and I hope you’re looking forward to another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive with the purpose of writing, revising, or planning like crazy, plus a way to keep each other accountable. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief (2-3 lines per heading tops) in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goals:

My goal was to add at least 3000 words to Enlighten. I got on a roll and wrote 7700 words.


My goals for this week:

Seeing as last week went so well, I think I’ll aim to add 4000 words to Enlighten.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:

I hate how everything lovely and pure and worth holding dear eventually gets destroyed. And I hate that I was the one who did the destroying this time.

The biggest challenge I faced this week:

Noise. The retired men in our neighbourhood have nothing better to do than putter around their yards with leaf blowers, lawnmowers, and weed whackers. ALL. THE. TIME. And then there’s the dude who tinkers with his motorbike and races it repeatedly up and down the street (Without a helmet and in flip-flops. Duh.) It’s driving me insane and making it very difficult to write. Sigh.

Something I love about my WIP:

I love that even though the overall tone is dark and serious and often sad, there’s also a nice sprinkling of humour throughout. Most of that can be attributed to a particular character whom I adore for his tendency to be goofy and highly inappropriate. He’s so much fun to write.

And now onto the exciting part…

The winner of our second giveaway is:

STEPHANIE ALLEN

That’s two Stephanie’s in a row now, so it must be a lucky name. Congratulations to Stephanie #2! We hope you enjoy using all those goodies from Jaime while you write! Up for grabs this week is Katy’s fun writer's care package, which you can see below. If you’d like a chance to win it, be sure to enter the Rafflecopter. Please note that, unlike weeks 1 & 2, you no longer need to provide links in your entries. Stay tuned next week for the winner announcement.



a Rafflecopter giveaway

27 comments:

  1. Fantastic job on exceeding your goals! Ah, noise. We had roof repairs a couple of weeks ago and I live in the attic, so you can imagine how much fun that was! People always seem to be outside making noise in summer! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goofy and inappropriate - yeah, I LOVE those characters! Also, congrats on all the wordage this week! Hope you have another productive one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on all the writing you got done. Quite a feat considering all the noise (I have the same type of people in my neighborhood.) Hope you have another great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you've included a little bit of humor throughout your story even though it's dark. Stories like that can really suck the reader in and make you truly care about the characters. Great lines you shared, too! Hope you have a productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally blew your word count goal out of the water -- way to go, Erin! I love comic relief characters too. Mine sometimes end up becoming bigger characters than they were meant to be because they're so much fun to write. Have a great week, lady, and best of luck with your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the humor in your snippet and DUDE on the word count goal. Yay Erin!!!!!!!! Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you did awesome last week!! I have a tough time with noisy environments, too. Luckily where we live now is quiet, but last year I lived in an apartment that looked out on a very busy road and it was awful. Good luck this week, hopefully you get on another roll :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the lines you shared! And way to kick butt with your 7700 words!!!

    I hear ya on the noise. Someone sat in their car in my apartment complex parking lot this morning at about 7:30, blasting The Eagles. That is preferable, though, to the guy who rode his motorbike around in the middle of the night while his mom screamed out the window at him to shut up :)

    Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you for adding a fun character! I love those :) And congrats on so many words, despite those continual motor noises. Hmmm...maybe you should put on a black ski mask, sneak out at night with a container of sugar and. . .joking, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sprinkling humor is always good. In the immortal words of Joss Whedon “Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke.” Thanks for searing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome line! I am intrigued! And holy heck, 7,700 words! Wow! You are a rock star. You can most definitely get the 4k for this week. Hope you have less distracting noises this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As I'm typing this, there are roofers on our roof banging around and just generally making TONS of noise. I mean, the upside is we'll have a new roof, but talk about killing the productivity. Just what I needed... :-/ I hear you on the noisy neighbours, though. Between incessantly barking dogs, leaf blowers/mowers/whackers, neighbours who think everyone wants to listen to their overloud music, the drug dealer across the street who has people coming and going all day... Yeah, it's a real party living here. O_o From the sounds of it, your overall word count wasn't affected this week, so that's good! You've been WAY more productive than I have been.

    Love the lines you shared this week, too! I might have to share two lines next time, because there never seems to be a single line that works. I'll keep that in mind! Anyway, hope your week goes well and that all the bozos on your street simmer down a bit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolute LOVE the excerpt you shared! Good luck with your goals this week... maybe you'll more than double your word count goals again :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome word count!! You go! And phooey on the retired dedicated yard workers, lol. Wouldn't it be nice if someone made a line of quiet yard working tools? And is that Papermate pens I see in the care package? Those are the best pens ever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's hard to focus on anything with so much nearby noise! I lived on the fourth floor of my dorm for all of two weeks my junior year of university, and moved to a single that opened up on the first floor as soon as I could. The noise until the wee hours was too much to take, and I was apparently the odd one out who wanted to sleep at a normal hour and was really upset by how little regard everyone else had for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy Smokes! You crushed your word goal! CONGRATS!
    Ugh...noisy neighbors are the worst. We lived in a busy neighborhood before we bought our house. Now it’s quiet which I love. Maybe noise canceling headphones? I’ve heard they’re great…but I think I’d feel like I was in a plastic bubble.
    Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The neighborhood noise might have been annoying, but it sure didn't keep you from hitting your goals. You hit it out of the park this week! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy moly! That word count is insane! Congrats on far exceeding your expectations. I hope the coming week is just as fruitful.

    And oh my goodness, noise, yes. I'm so sensitive to loud noises. That would have driven me insane. I hope you find a way around the noise this week (but then again you DID manage to get over 7000 words, maybe it's not so bad after all? hehe) Good luck! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so jealous of your word counts this week! And what a thought-provoking line! Love it! Have another great week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your line- so intriguing! And way to go for doubling your word count goal!

    ReplyDelete
  21. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE LOVELY COMMENTS, EVERYBODY! WISHING YOU ALL A WEEK OF PEACE AND QUIET AND PRODUCTIVITY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow 7700 words!?! Also I LOVE the line you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, congrats on writing 7700 words this week - that's really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Outside noise never used to bother me, but EVERYTHING bothers me these days. maybe time to invest in really high quality headphones for me! Glad you exceeded your goals though despite distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow that is a lot of words! Great job! Sorry you had to deal with all of the noise but it's good you were able to work around it. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. SO impressed that you over took your won goal, great work. I hope this week you achieve a good peaceful time to write.

    ReplyDelete
  27. SO MANY WORDS. That's awesome! And I'm sorry all those manly types are so loud. At least they're probably not loud super late at night like all the college students in my neighborhood?

    Hopefully you get on another roll this week!

    ReplyDelete