Monday, 14 July 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #6

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, and I hope you’re looking forward to another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive with the purpose of writing, revising, or planning like crazy, plus a way to keep each other accountable. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief (2-3 lines per heading tops) in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

●How I did on last week’s goals:

My goal was to add at least 3000 words to Enlighten. I wrote just over 4000 and had to fight for every single word this week. While I beat my goal, that was the result of many long, slow hours.  It was well worth it though.

My goals for this week:

Same as last week. I’d like to add at least another 3000 words to Enlighten.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:

Gradually, my mind swims upward through a deep pool of nothing until I reach the surface where sleep evaporates into consciousness.

The biggest challenge I faced this week:

Being able to focus. I’ve had a lot of distractions, both big and small, trying to derail me lately--everything from noisy neighbours to the latest step in my ongoing saga of dental reconstruction. It’s hard to concentrate when my mouth no longer feels like my mouth, but at least when I grin and bear it, my teeth look spiffy.

Something I love about my WIP:

The dark, near future setting of the fictional city in my story. I love the atmosphere, and it’s a great playground for action scenes.

And now on to some other fun stuff...

Last week, all of you lovely participants had the chance to enter our very first RSW giveaway of the summer, and I’m pleased to announce that the winner of my writer’s care package is:

STEPHANIE SCOTT

Congratulations, Stephanie! If you’d like to direct message me via Twitter, we can sort out the details of getting this parcel in the mail to you asap!

This week’s RSW giveaway is hosted by Jaime. If you’d like to win the super cute writer’s care package pictured below, be sure to enter the Rafflecopter, and stay tuned next Monday for our winner announcement.




a Rafflecopter giveaway

27 comments:

  1. Problems with focusing seems to be last week's theme :-) Hope you're doing well and that your mouth doesn't hurt! Cheering you on, Erin and thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think focusing has been an issue for a few of us! It has for me!! Hope your teeth stuff, and neighbors, calms down soon! Loved your line!! Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The writing's been slow for me too. And my focus has not been where it needs to be. I honestly don't know how I achieved my wc goal this week! BUT it sounds like you did AWESOME, despite the neighbors and dental stuff. Good for you!

    Good luck this week on reaching your goals! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed that you not only met, but surpassed your goal this week! I need a good kick in the rear...I hope this week is less distracting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the line you shared, Erin! It seems like focus is an on-going struggle for me, especially during the summertime. Often, the last thing I want to do when it's sunny and my daughter's home is sit down with my computer to write! Awesome surpassing your goals, despite the distractions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 4000 words is awesome!

    My husband went through a ton of dental work last year and it was awful at the time, but it was definitely worth it. He smiles a lot more now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your goal this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That line is gorgeous! I have been fighting for words this week, too, so I feel your pain. Awesome that you were able to meet your goal regardless of all that. Good luck this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your goal this week, Erin, and that line you shared is beautifully written. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel you on focus issues. It sounds like even with that, you got a lot accomplished. I love you WiP line, wonderful rhythm and imagery. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dental reconstruction sounds like my nightmare. I hate nothing more than the dentist, so I say you get a free pass for being distracted. Hang in there, and good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love creating fictional cities. It gives the writer so much freedom to build its own history and background. Congrats on surpassing your goal. Good luck next this week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, 4000 words is pretty darn good! And I love the line you shared. Every time I read these lines from your WiP, I try to guess what part of the story it might be from, based on what you've told me about it. I hear you on the distractions, though. I just can't seem to focus on writing, which is terrible. Of course, both of us have that same crap neighbour problem, so that never helps either. Hope this week is much, much better! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. The 4,000 words you fought for (love how you phrased that) make them even more special than just passing your goal. I admire your perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on getting those words! I'm really struggling with writing new words at the moment, so I know the feeling. Hope you hit your stride again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome, I won! I love getting packages in the mail. Thanks!!

    Oh, dental stuff can be so intrusive. True story: I was at a writing conference last year, in the middle of a conversation with a writer, when my crown fell out of my mouth while eating a soft pastry. I said, "excuse me, that was my tooth. My tooth just came out." GROAN.

    And Hooray for your added wordcount!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Focus can definitely be a challenge, particularly when we've got other stuff going on. The most important thing is that the words do come, even if it's a bit slower than we'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on reaching your word count goal! And I definitely love books with cool atmosphere and setting--definitely makes for good action scenes! Congrats to Stephanie for winning! Happy goal-reaching this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It seems like we had pretty similar weeks! Fighting for the words is so hard, but at the end it really feels like you've achieved something, I think. I hope it all comes a little easier this week :) And I hope the dental stuff eases up on you--I'm going in to continue with my braces process soon and I'm dreading that aching mouth feeling again! But that, too, like the writing will aaaall be worth it in the end, for both of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on meeting the WC goal. Even though it was tough, I bet it feels great to have stuck with it and met your goal.

    I love the idea of your setting as a playground. Thinking about it that way leaves a lot of room for fun in writing. I hope you get lots of great action scenes in, and good luck with this week's goals!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hate it when getting words out is like pulling teeth. But at least it's something. Great line!

    ReplyDelete
  22. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS, EVERYBODY! CONGRATULATIONS TO STEPHANIE ON WINNING MY WRITER'S CARE PACKAGE! I MIGHT BE A LITTLE LATE IN COMMENTING ON EVERYONE'S BLOGS TODAY, BUT I WANT TO WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY WRITING WEEK FULL OF LOTS OF PRODUCTIVITY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. "...at least when I grin and bear it, my teeth look spiffy." HA. How's that for a silver lining? Kudos to you for getting words down anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oooh, i love dark stories! And your line! Sometimes you have to fight for those words, but when you get them out it's well worth it. Good luck with next week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ugh, dental work is the worst. Hope it all gets sorted for you soon! And a playground for action sounds like my sort of book. =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great work, meeting your goal and over passing sound amazing That shows lot of dedication

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on surpassing your word count goal even in the midst of distraction!

    I hear you on the dental work - I have to have some done next month and I'm not looking forward to it.

    I missed the linky cutoff so here's my belated update: http://ghenetmyrthil.com/2014/07/15/ready-set-write-update-5/.

    ReplyDelete