Monday, 30 June 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #4

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, KatyUpperman, Jaime Morrow, and I hope you’re looking forward to another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive with the purpose of writing, revising, or planning like crazy, plus a way to keep each other accountable. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief (2-3 lines per heading tops) in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goals:

Everything checked off. I reread half of ENGRAVE, filled in plot gaps in ENLIGHTEN, sorted out my plot arc diagram, and organized a very detailed outline that includes all my notes. I did my research, which yielded unexpected results that added something huge to my story.

My goals for this week:

I’d like to reread the second half of ENGRAVE and fix a few minor issues I’ve come across. I also want to figure out some key aspects of the first scene in ENLIGHTEN and start drafting (EEK!).  Story intros are hard, so I’m only going to aim for 1000 words for starters.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:

He stands on the far side of the casket, eyes hidden behind dark sunglasses, pain chiseled into his features like an epitaph. Against the blanket of snow and the pallor of his skin, the welt brands his cheek, as red as the long-stemmed rose he holds.

The biggest challenge I faced this week :

Blah. Besides having dental surgery AGAIN (oh joy and bliss), I was slammed with some health issues this week that are putting a major kink in writing and life in general. Not fun.

Something I love about my WIP:

I’ve known how my trilogy was going to end since shortly after conceiving the premise for the entire series. Working on plotting book three this week has me in love with how everything is going to finally play out and wrap up. I’m both sad and happy to be at this point.


25 comments:

  1. Hey Erin! I love the excerpt - fav line- from your WIP. After watching Fault in Our Stars over the weekend and bawling my eyes out, I am in love with the emotion in this bit. Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for all the health issues! Hope everything is okay! I loved your line though. Especially this: "pain chiseled into his features like an epitaph." NICE!

    Good luck this week! Hope things are better!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lines are great, very evocative.

    Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the health issues. But so happy that you're in love with how everything is going to play out. I also think it's so cool that your research was so fruitful. Love when that happens. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your posts about your series, because you are just a tiny bit ahead of me in the process, and it is so motivating to see how much you are getting done, in spite of surgery and health issues. I've never finished a series before and I find it very overwhelming to think about wrapping up all the loose ends. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such an amazing way with descriptions. I can totally imagine the scene just from your few lines about it. So sorry about health issues. They suck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on your goals! :) Research can turn up all sorts of cool ideas! I find story openings really hard, too. Absolutely love the line you shared!

    Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope things are better this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dental surgery... Yikes. So sorry you're not feeling well, Erin. I hope you bounce back quickly! That said, it sounds like you were still super productive. Best of luck with your goals for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, man, I HATE the dentist and feel your pain. Hope you're feeling better. Congrats on hitting all your goals last week. Fingers crossed this week is just as successful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I hope you're feeling better! And congrats on getting so much done this week. That excerpt is great. Good luck with the start of book 3!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the line you shared, Erin! I know exactly what scene this is supposed to be too. Can't wait to read all of this story. You did awesome meeting your goals this week. I, however, did not lol. Once things settle down a bit around here, we need to do another Skype writing session so we can discuss all of your new ideas and whatnot for ENLIGHTEN. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry you've been dealing with health issues. I hope you feel better soon.

    Yay for hitting all of your goals last week! Good luck this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you feel better. I hate the dentist. I'm glad you still reached you goals. Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry about the dentist! That's never any fun. But great to hear you hit all your goals. Yes, the beginnings are the worst...I hate writing them. Really hate writing them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your writing is gorgeous! Sorry you are having health issues; I hope you feel better soon. It's awesome you've still been able to meet your goals with so much going on! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear about the health issues, Erin. I've had dental surgery and ugh not fun. Hope everything goes smoothly. And wow love the snippet you shared, so glad to hear your goals were checked off too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you recover well from the dental surgery. It's not fun having your mouth and teeth tinkered with.

    Good luck with continuing to meet your writing goals!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear about your health issues, Erin! Lots of positive thoughts your way...<3
    Cheering you on for next week, loved loved loved the snippet you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for huge surprises in your story! I always like when I have some sort of epiphany. It tends to mean more work, but it's always worth it! Hope this week is better (in terms of health)! And good luck with writing your opening. I hate first chapters too. It's really smart to take it slow. I'm not really smart because I'm jumping in full force to write my new WIP with Camp NaNo. :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dental surgery is no joke. Hope you’re healing well and get to feeling better soon! But congrats on finishing your goals this week!!! Good luck this week.
    Also, that line, very spooky and intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. the fact that you met your weekly goal despite your health issues is incredible. Congrats on not letting it pull you down!

    ReplyDelete
  22. THANKS FOR THE WELL WISHES, EVERYONE! I'M FEELING A BIT BETTER NOW AND HOPING REALLY HARD THAT THESE HEALTH ISSUES WON'T BE AN ONGOING PROBLEM. I APPRECIATE THE KIND COMMENTS ON THE SNIPPET I SHARED! I'VE NEVER POSTED MUCH OF MY WRITING ONLINE, BESIDES IN CONTESTS, SO I'M TRYING TO BE BRAVE ABOUT THAT. HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A LOVELY WEEK FILLED WITH LOTS OF PRODUCTIVE WRITING! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope your ills are only temporary! It's so hard to work when you're feeling bad. =( Good luck for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the lines that you shared. :) I hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooo… pretty lines… great pictures painted there! And gosh, I'm so sorry about your surgery and feeling so cruddy. The. Worst. :/ It's amazing how much dental troubles affect everything--really. Overall health! I hope you can recover soon and that you'll be okay!

    ReplyDelete