Monday, 23 June 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #3

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, Jaime Morrow, and I hope you’re looking forward to another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive with the purpose of writing, revising, or planning like crazy, plus a way to keep each other accountable. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief (2-3 lines per heading tops) in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of our host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goals:

I want to finish my list of fiddly details, research some Romantic era poetry, divide my ms (ENGRAVE) into chapters, rewrite the start of one scene, finish gathering my notes for book 3 (ENLIGHTEN), and start a plot arc diagram. Whew! It was tough to squeeze it all in, but I managed to get everything done.

My goals for this week:

I plan to reread at least half of ENGRAVE, continue to plot ENLIGHTEN and have a tentative outline and plot arc diagram in place. I also want to do some research that will determine a major aspect of the plot.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised: 

The thick blanket of clouds has dissipated, and the snow glows a pure, radiant white, mimicking the stars that crust the obsidian sky like a spray of ice chips. If only all revelations were so beautiful once the veil was torn away.

The biggest challenge I faced this week :

This week I was so busy and exhausted I was running on adrenaline fumes. At one point, I was so fried I actually tried using my laptop mouse to move the cursor on my phone while texting Jaime. Major brainfart. In hindsight, I probably should’ve set a few less goals and gotten a few more hours of sleep.

Something I love about my WIP:

My characters. I got to explore the entire spectrum of emotions with them in this ms. They make mistakes, but they also grow a lot, and I’d like to think they’re pretty kickass. I’m dreading saying goodbye to them once I’m done this trilogy.


28 comments:

  1. Congrats on meeting your goals! And I'm glad to see that you do so much outlining and prep work with your books! I think I'm the only outliner in my Camp NaNo cabin next month. I can't imagine trying to write without all my ducks in a row! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quote! :) Congrats on meeting your goals despite being busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. isn't it cool how we can play with emotions in our writing! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on meeting your goals! And love the line from your story! Also, yes - I find sometimes I set the bar a teensy bit high, but you find what works you and you go with it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh... That line is beautiful! Love everything about it, Erin! And I've got to admit, I *kind of* laughed about your mouse/courser/texting story. I think we've all been there. :-) Best of luck with your goals this week, and I hope you get to rest/relax a little too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you get more sleep and make all your goals! The line you quoted is awesome. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Katy, I giggled at the mouse/cursor debacle. Sleep is definitely crucial. Congrats on meeting your goals and good luck with everything this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you set a lot of goals, and wore yourself out a little, but you met them! That's awesome. I love your little WiP line. Wonderful. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So...ENGRAVE is broken down into chapters now? Does that mean it will be making its way here soon??? ;-) Happy to hear that you met your goals this week. For some reason it was tougher (for both of us) this week, hey? I hope it won't be so tough going forward. Love the line you shared! Can't wait to get reading the book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that line! Gave me a little chill, which is good in all this southern heat!
    I've never used the mouse for my phone but have had a lap top & desk top open & tried to use desktop mouse to move laptop mouse.
    Congrats on meeting all your goals!!! But hope you're adding in a little resting time this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous line! Great job on meeting your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the line from your WIP! Congratulations on cramming all your goals in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you're rocking your goals for the summer so far. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stars as ice chips? I LOVE that description! Good luck for this week, and try to get a bit more sleep. =) Also, I just remembered that I have not sent your guitar charm yet. Ah! So sorry, I'll get it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, nice job on meeting all of your goals! I love the line you shared. So pretty. Hope you get to relax a little this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your line gave me shivers, it's beautiful! And you've made amazing progress. Good luck with this week :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that line. LOVE it. It conjures up such vivid imagery and there's a threat somewhere in there, too. So good! Keep it up, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  18. THANKS FOR THIS WEEKLY DOSE OF ENCOURAGEMENT, EVERYONE! I ESPECIALLY APPRECIATE THE KIND WORDS ABOUT THE LINE FROM MY STORY. HOPE YOU'RE ALL IN FOR A PRODUCTIVE WEEK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on reaching your goal. :D I love to work with characters it really gets me through the novel. Thanks for sharing. Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job with reaching all your goals! I do hope you get a little more rest in though this week. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay for kick-ass characters! Boo for being exhausted. Take care of yourself!! I absolutely love your excerpt. It's gorgeous. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your WIP lines are gorgeous!

    I've had brainfarts like that, too. Trying to change the channel with my phone instead of the remote, looking for my glasses...while I'm wearing them :)

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on meeting your goals last week... maybe add sleep to your goals this week? Haha... I feel like I should add sleep to mine as well. Your excerpt is gorgeous and lyrical, love it! Hope you're successful this week at both writing AND sleep ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the line that you shared! Hopefully you'll be able to get some rest this week along with completing your goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! You got a ton accomplished, and I'm super impressed AND inspired. I had a similar brain fart this week--I have a paperwhite kindle, and I kept trying to use the touch screen to swipe to the next page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is definitely so fun to explore characters and discover their quirks! Congrats on your accomplishments. Happy goal-striving-ness this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think the silliest thing I've done so far was when I was reading on my phone's Kindle app instead of on my actual Kindle, and I looked for the next button on my phone instead of just swiping. Oops.

    I love that line you posted! Such beautiful imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yay for completing your goals this week! I love the line you shared. I hope you get more rest this week. :)

    ReplyDelete