Monday, 16 June 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #2

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! We hope you’re looking forward to another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive with the purpose of writing, revising, or planning like crazy, plus a way to keep each other accountable. We’ll be sharing our goals on Mondays and keeping our posts brief (2-3 lines per heading tops) in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to hop around to encourage other participants. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goals:

My goal was to work through half my list of missing details, minor inconsistencies, overused words/gestures, etc. I probably did about 2/3. I also wanted to start compiling my notes on the third book in my trilogy, and I got a nice chunk of that done. Week 1 goals successfully met!

My goals for this week:

I want to finish my list of fiddly details, research some Romantic era poetry, divide my ms (ENGRAVE) into chapters, rewrite the start of one scene, finish gathering my notes for book 3 (ENLIGHTEN), and start a plot arc diagram. As you can see, I’m in transition between WIPs.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:

Bittersweet

The biggest challenge I faced this week :

Maintaining my concentration on the more monotonous aspects of revising/editing.

Something I love about my WIP:

The theme of Romanticism versus technology.



24 comments:

  1. Congrats on going above and beyond your goals! And thanks for having such a great blog hop for writers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on all the accomplishments! As for maintaining concentration - SO hard for me on first draft. We can work on that one together. :)

    Hope you have another great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romanticism vs. technology--that sounds really interesting! I find the little picky parts of editing monotonous, too, but I always think it means I'm close to the end, which is the BEST feeling. Good luck with the monotony this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on exceeding your goals! It can be hard to stay motivated when doing the more tedious parts of editing.

    I love the poetry of the late Romantics, like Byron, Shelley and Keats. It was one of my favourite parts of my second year at university! (Literature geek here!)

    Thanks for a great blog hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like your goals for this week will set you up to do some new writing, which will help with the monotonous aspects of revising. I love that you are researching Romantic era poetry, very intriguing. Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, Romantic poetry is one of my favorite eras, second only to Victorian. Sounds like a lot of fun to research! Congrats on meeting your goals, and good luck with this week's goals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I'm very intrigued by the theme you mentioned. And congrats on meeting your goals, Erin! Best of luck with your goals in the coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on meeting your goals Erin!!! Good luck with the new writing and revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It can be pretty boring and monotonous to edit and polish, particularly when you've been through the material many times before. But someone has to do it, and the sooner it gets done, the sooner you can move onto other things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the specificity of your goals. I need to work on that. Congratulations on getting so much accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the sound of that theme. Excellent! And, I'm interested in how you are keeping two WIPs going at once. So far I have only been working on one book, my first, and have yet to imagine trying to keep two books going at one time. Sounds tricky! Good going.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Concentration is so hard. When I was doing the edits from hell, I kept getting distracted by the internet. Good luck with the rest of your goals this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Romanticism vs. technology- how interesting. Good luck transitioning between WIPs. I'm doing the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on meeting and passing your goals! Always a great feeling. Sounds like an interesting mix on themes! Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I'm loving ENVISION (again), so I can't wait for ENGRAVE to make its way into chapters then make its way to me! I know what you mean about the monotony of dealing with all the fiddly bits while revising (which sounds so much dirtier than I intended lol). Hope you're able to get that done nice and quickly so you can dive into ENLIGHTEN! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good job exceeding your goals. Hopefully your concentration will be better this week. Thank you so much for helping to develop this and What's Up Wednesday! It has really helped me with my goals!

    ReplyDelete
  17. THANKS FOR THE WEEKLY DOSE OF ENCOURAGEMENT, EVERYBODY! YOU'RE THE BEST! I'M SO GLAD A BUNCH OF YOU THOUGHT THE ROMANTICISM VS. TECH THEME IN MY STORY SOUNDED INTERESTING. VERY ENCOURAGING TO HEAR THAT! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on meeting your goals! Have a great writing week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice work! You're rocking RSW so far. :) Best of luck with this week's goals!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your word to sum it all up :) Congrats on meeting your goal last week and good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bittersweet is such a great word. Best of luck for next week! And it totally feels like RSW! is gaining momentum as it rolls on - love it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Keeping concentration while editing is definitely hard! It's why I have to jam out to music while I do it--I think it helps distract the part of me that finds it tedious or something, lol! Good luck this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job last week! What you love about your WIP sounds intriguing. I always think it's interesting to see what word I tend to overuse in a novel. There's usually one in particular that stands out and I'm always curious as to why it's that particular word. Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I...do not plan that much before diving into a new MS. I'm always impressed by those of you who do. Great job last week, and good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete