Monday, 9 September 2013

Ravin' About Ravens

This weekend, with the release of The Dream Thieves quickly approaching (September 17th), I decided I’d better pre-order my copy. Our local independent bookstore, McNally Robinson (the one with the tree staircase, for those of you who remember the picture I posted of it), is one of about a dozen lucky stores in Canada that will be giving away collector postcards with pre-ordered books. The postcards feature artwork by Maggie Stiefvater, which, in my opinion, is incredibly cool. You can check that out at Maggie’s site: here.

So we trekked off to the bookstore and placed our order. Weirdly, the girl working behind the counter in the children’s/YA section hadn’t heard anything about the souvenir postcards. I tried to impress upon her just how lucky we are that one of the best YA authors in existence included our store in her giveaway. I know, it’s just a postcard, but it’s got Blue kissing “someone” on it, and it’s a reward from Maggie (well, probably Scholastic) for shopping at independent bookstores. And hello, the fact that Saskatoon was included just thrills me.

Anyway, we left the store with an armful of books, went for coffee at Starbucks (the new chocolate chai latte is delicious BTW), picked up a few pizzas for supper, and headed home. While we were out, someone left a voicemail for us. It was McNally Robinson letting us know they had an ARC of The Dream Thieves and it was ours if we wanted it. IF we wanted it?!! Uh, YEAH!

After horking down some pizza, we headed back across town to the bookstore to pick up the ARC. It’s only just over a week until the actual book comes out, but it’s still exciting to have an early copy of it in my hands, especially after voicing my extreme jealously to those of you who’ve already read it. We kept our actual copy on order, because I obviously want a nice hardcover to match The Raven Boys, and of course, I want the postcard (not to mention then Maggie still makes some moola off of us, as will the store that so kindly gave us the ARC).

I’m about a third of the way through The Dream Thieves, and not surprisingly, I’m hanging on every word. And I think I’m enjoying it even more for the fact that it was so unexpected to get to read it early.


19 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing for the store to do. I'm so glad you got a copy. I am literally counting the minutes till my copy arrives.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure thought so! I hope time goes by very quickly for you between now and the release date! :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I haven't started that series YET, but I will. Oh, one day. One fine day... There's not enough time in the world, you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy do I ever! My TBR list is never-ending, but I have very little time to read these days. Such a sad predicament!

      Delete
  3. I am beyond jealous of you! I'll have to see if our independent store is doing anything. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very, very lucky right now! I know that Maggie is sketching a raven and signing the title page in pre-ordered books for one particular store in the U.S. and you can find the details about that on her site. I think it's so cool that she's promoting independent bookstores that way! Maybe you can get your hands on one of those?

      Delete
  4. That's so cool! I love that they did that! (At least this long busy stretch has distracted me from how jealous I am of everyone who's gotten to read this book already!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that great of them? I was so jealous of people who'd gotten to read it already too. I've never had an ARC before, so I feel pretty luck that THE DREAM THIEVES is my first one. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so jealous! I can't wait to get a copy, I'm going to devour it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to devour it, but Maggie's prose is so incredible that I find myself reading really, really slowly because I'm savouring so much! Those are the best kinds of stories! :)

      Delete
  6. Very cool, and obviously I'm totally envious. Mine should be here in a week or so and I'm eager to get my hands on it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the week goes by quickly for you then! I know you're probably eager for a little Gansey time. :D

      Delete
  7. You lucked out, lady! A very generous friend loaned me her THE DREAM THIEVES ARC and I loved it. Strange, because it's a book chock full of things I wouldn't have thought I'd care about before reading. I had to send the ARC back, but I enjoyed it so much I preordered a finished copy of the book. Hope you love it too, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very lucky right now, especially seeing as I'd previously left some jealous comments for people who have already read it (probably yourself included)! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Maggie Stiefvater's prose just amazes me. I'm a little more than a third of the way through it, and I feel just as drawn into the story and the characters as I did with the first book. :)

      Delete
  8. There are very few books that I keep checking to see if they are out yet...but this is one of those books. *checks kindle compulsively even though you just told me the release date*

    So I'm pretty jealous you've got your paws on it. I'm also jealous that you still have an indie bookstore and a fantabulous one at that. We had a glorious indie book store (the kind with a gramophone and multiple cats) but they had a terrible fire and had to close.

    Basically, I'm just going to live vicariously through you this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been chomping at the bit for this one since I set down the first book, so getting to read it even a week early feels like a huge treat!

      That's horrible about your indie bookstore! We're very lucky to have such a nice one here. Unfortunately, it doesn't have any cats though. :)

      Delete
  9. Ooh, cool! I hadn't heard this yet. Can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check out Maggie's site she gives details on how you can pre-order copies that she's signing and sketching ravens inside. She's the coolest! Hope the week goes by fast so you can get your hands on a copy soon! :)

      Delete
  10. Ah, what amazing luck! I'm glad you get to read it early. It is such a *MAGICAL* book, one of the few where I have no idea where the plot may go but I'm 100% in for the ride. :)

    I was lucky to get an ARC thanks to a sharing pact on Twitter (lol) and generous bloggers who snagged my friend 2 copies, and then she very generously sent me one to keep.

    ReplyDelete