Hey, peoples! Thanks for stopping by for What’s Up Wednesday. Please leave your link on Jaime Morrow’s blog if you’d like to take part in the WUW blog hop or if you’d like to join in Ready. Set. WRITE! hosted by Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, Elodie Nowodazkij, Jaime Morrow, and yours truly.
What I’m Reading:
I’m still reading Parallel by Lauren Miller. It’s different than I thought it would be. Since the premise involves parallel universes colliding, I expected it to be a little more sci-fi, but it reads like contemporary with a sci-fi twist. Seeing as I enjoy both sci-fi and contemporary, I’m finding it to be an interesting mix so far.
What I’m Writing:
My goal for this past week was to finish the next three scenes in my WIP. Mission accomplished. This involved some major rethinking and reorganization. I was also able to sort out some aspects of the plot that weren’t gelling as well as I would’ve liked.
I’m going to stick with the same goal for this coming week. Hopefully, I’ll make some good headway on this. The weather is really hot here right now, and I feel like my brain has totally melted.
What Inspires Me Right Now:
In my recent internet travels, I stumbled upon Eric Whiteacre’s “Virtual Choir” project and thought it was such a unique and inspiring idea. Basically, what he’s done is combine individual videos of singers from all over the globe into one huge choir. In the video I’ve included below, they’re performing his choral piece “Lux Aurumque.” It’s amazing that although these people are all different ages, from all walks of life, and from every corner of the world, their voices can blend so seamlessly to create something beautiful.
This week, my story research involved trying to find a piece of music to incorporate into a particular scene. While this song is from the wrong era, I still found it inspiring in light of the scene I was writing.
What Else I’ve Been Up To:
• On Monday, I celebrated Canada Day with my family.
• I went book shopping (yet again) and picked up a copy of Seige and Storm by Leigh Bardugo. I had a great chat about YA book-to-movie adaptations with one of the workers at the store and asked them to please, please, please have a release party when Allegiant comes out this fall.
• I watched Upside Down, a very creative sci-fi movie that I enjoyed despite its shortcomings. I also watched Warm Bodies, and while I’m not usually a big fan of zombies (just not my cup of tea), I found this movie both adorable and funny.
• Together with the rest of the crew at YA Buccaneers, I was involved in the launch of our new YA group blog. Go check it out! We'd love it if you'd join the fun!
• Mainly, I’ve been trying to survive the heat. Being a pasty ginger, I don’t handle hot weather well. At all. It literally makes me ill.
So what's happening with you this week?