Friday, 26 July 2013

My Love List

As promised in my What's Up Wednesday post, here's the Love List I compiled for my YA light-sci-fi story, ENVISION. In case you aren't familiar with the concept of Love Lists, it's an idea the awesome Stephanie Perkins came up with. Put simply, when she starts a new project she makes a list of all the details that first inspired her to write that particular story, then adds to it as she goes. The purpose is to remind you of why you love your story when the writing gets tough. It also comes in handy during the querying process when those rejections start popping into the old inbox. If you'd like to read Stephanie's post on this, you can find it here. Two of my lovely Ready. Set. WRITE! co-hosts, Alison and Katy, recently posted their Love Lists, so I thought I would do the same.

Love List for ENVISION

narrow escapes
a motorcycle
an inappropriately funny tech guy
rainbow hair
digitally enhanced minds
broken stained glass
chases
energy pulse weapons
a drastic makeover
piggybacks
Keats
a cryptic wooden box
secrets
keys
urban green spaces
books with real pages
books with no pages at all
 mean right hook(s)
glow-in-the-dark spray paint
egg rolls
slow burn romance
storage units
unique cameras
fun with jiu-jitsu and krav maga
sink sprayers
imploding things
tunnels
connections
photos
memories
rain
first aid
Jell-o breaks
biker jackets
long stretches of highway
that limbo between dreaming and waking
sparrows
autumn leaves
ideals this world has long since forgotten
torn up letters
Romanticism
introverts
first kisses
finders keepers
glow bracelets
taiko drums
an asymmetrical chandelier
holograms
acrobats


And so many other things I wish I could add but can’t for fear of giving things away or babbling. If you haven't made a Love List for your story yet, I encourage you to do it!  Who knows? It might be just the reminder you need to give your WIP a hug and some TLC when the writing or querying process gets rocky!

19 comments:

  1. "an inappropriately funny tech guy"

    Love this one, especially - I can picture this guy so well already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's one of my favourite characters to write, and having a funny character makes the story feel more balanced to me. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this idea. I'm definitely going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the rainbow hair and the drastic makeover related?
    I love this idea. I'm hoping to make my own list soon.
    Oh and now I want eggrolls. Thanks... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, good question! Surprisingly they aren't. The person with the rainbow hair does perform the makeover though. Have fun making your own list! And I'm very excited because we're having Chinese food for supper tonight and there will be egg rolls! Yum!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, this is awesome, Erin! Many of your ideas strike me as colorful and vibrant (rainbow hair, broken stained glass, glow-in-the-dark spray paint, autumn leaves, glow bracelets, holograms) and I love the sense of adventure I get from some of the others (acrobats, biker jackets, tunnels, chases, narrow escapes). And I will ALWAYS be intrigued by stories that include first kisses and slow burn romance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katy! My story is kind of dark, so I like the contrast of adding colourful details to that atmosphere. And as much as my ms is light sci-fi, the romance really is the heart of it. :)

      Delete
  5. Fascinating list, but broken stained glass stood out the most for me. What an image!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The broken stained glass is from one of my favourite scenes, so I'm glad you liked that detail. :)

      Delete
  6. I love your list! These are such great ideas and I love the little peak they give into the story. The things that jumped out for me were - glow in the dark spray paint (ohh what is that going to be used for!), rainbow hair, torn up letters, autumn leaves, long stretches of highway and the limbo between dreaming and waking - that's one of my favourite times of day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's interesting to hear people's reactions to certain things on the list, since I know the story behind them. :)

      Delete
  7. Well, as you already know, I love your love list and your story. I think you've compiled a good representation of the goodies found in your story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your encouragement about my story helps me love it too, so thanks! I really should compile a Love List for my sequel, because that might help me get over some of those writing hurdles that keep popping up lately.

      Delete
  8. Oh WOW! I love everything about this! Rainbow hair, inappropriately funny guys, books with no pages...so much to love!

    Is this the story I'm about to read?! If so, I already know I'll love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this is the one you're about to read. Hope it lives up to the list! :)

      Delete
  9. nice blog darling!!

    follow you now""

    www.beautyandfashion-makeup.blogspot.com

    follow me :33

    pls

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete