Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Practical Writing Advice

Yesterday was a really productive day, thanks to a nice kick start with Ready. Set. WRITE! I took part in my first ever Twitter party, which was a lot of fun and great motivation. It was awesome to see other people plowing ahead with their stories and to know that we were all working toward a common goal at the same time. Keep up the great work, everyone! And for anybody not taking part in our summer writing incentive, I hope you're trucking along with your WIPs too!

I'll get back to churning out some words on my story in a moment, but first I wanted to share something I found both motivational and funny. One of my husband's favourite authors is Patrick Rothfuss, who wrote The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear, so I had to laugh when I came across this picture of his advice to writers:



Well said, Patrick! Probably the most practical lesson in writing you'll ever get! And this guy knows what he's talking about. Both of his books weigh about as much as I do, so he's done some serious time in the writer chair. (Did anyone else happen to notice he's wearing an Island of Misfit Toys shirt in this photo? Sweet.) You can see pictures of other authors displaying their writing advice here.

Alrighty then! I'm going to listen to Mr. Rothfuss now. I'm sitting my butt down on a cushion to write. Yes, there's a cushion on my chair. Hey, cut me some slack! I'm short and I can barely reach the table to type! :D


12 comments:

  1. Love it! And glad to hear you're getting so much writing done. My productivity has also increased since Ready. Set. Write! began. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I think knowing everyone else it trying to meet their goals too really helps with the motivation. :)

      Delete
  2. I saw this photo collection with writing advice and thought it was pretty great. "Sit your ass down and write" is always good advice. (Though, I think it would have been funnier to use 'you're' instead of 'your' just to watch the writing community go bonkers. :P) I've been feeling less than motivated/excited lately to write, but I'm hoping that goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some other cool photos, but this one cracked me up because it cut to the chase. Patrick Rothfuss seems to do that a lot. Like his review of DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE: "I wish I'd written this book." Ha ha! You're right, that would have been hilarious if he'd opted to goof up the grammar. I'm sure your motivation will return to normal soon. Can't be on overdrive all the time! :)

      Delete
  3. LOL!

    And it really does come down to just DOING IT... to making ourselves sit down and write. Love this, Erin. And love what you're doing for the community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Morgan! Discipline is such huge chunk of the writing battle, and I love how this photo got the point across in a blunt and funny way! :)

      Delete
  4. That's great advice.

    I miss Twitter parties and hashtags. I've been a lazy tweeter this past year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only recently joined in on Twitter, so it was an entirely new experience for me. I've kind of avoided it, because it can get pretty time consuming if you let it. I found the writing party to be great motivation though!

      Delete
  5. Best writing advice ever! Funny how much gets done when we actually set our minds to writing without the constant distractions of life getting in the way. Thanks for the timely reminder, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I thought this was too funny and true not to pass on. :)

      Delete
  6. Erin, that's too funny! I think I need to blow that pic up and stick it on my wall.

    I decided I was spending too much time twittering, checking email, looking at writer blogs, posting comments, contemplating my next blog posts etc.....so I took out my old laptop which doesn't even have a MODEM (can you believe it????) and stuck myself in the basement in an uncomfortable chair and wrote. Without distractions. I managed to plug out 615 words that first night, which was a MIRACLE, since the week before, I think I wrote about 8.......

    Anyway, thanks for the laugh and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! There are so many distractions. I've been spending way too much time online lately too. That's a great idea to use an old laptop and banish yourself to the basement. I might have to try that! :)

      Delete