Wednesday, 1 May 2013

What's Up Wednesday



Welcome to the second week of What's Up Wednesday. If you'd like to take part, feel free to snag a copy of the button. You can sign up for the blog hop on my sister Jaime's site: here.

What I’m Reading:

A few days ago, I finished reading This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith. Rather than do a full review, I'll keep it short and just say that I enjoyed it almost as much as The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. It was a sweet little romance and I liked both of the main characters and the setting. If you're looking for a light, quick read, I recommend it.

Now, I'm reading Enchanted by Alethea Kontis, but so far I'm only a few pages in. This one has been on my TBR list for quite some time, which might have just as much to do with the pretty cover as the fact that it’s a fairy tale retelling.



What I’m Writing:

Currently, I’m rewriting a large chunk of a particular chapter in my WIP. I need to change the overall dynamic of the scene while retaining certain important aspects that set up the end of the book. It's proving to be a bit of a challenge, but I finally have all the details sorted out. I'm almost finished the new first draft and I think maybe, just maybe I love it.

What Inspires Me Right Now:

The other night, we watched the movie Lincoln. Not only is Abraham Lincoln an inspirational historical figure, but I found Daniel Day Lewis’s depiction of him to be inspirational as well. I’ve been a fan of Daniel Day Lewis since his performance in The Last of the Mohicans. (He had me at “I will find you!”) He’s one of those actors that applies himself so thoroughly to his craft, and as a result he was completely convincing as Lincoln. Acting and writing are both ways of telling a story, so this makes me ask myself: How committed am I to my craft? Have I been as convincing as I possibly can?


What Else I've Been Up To:

Every April, our local symphony has a used book sale in order to raise funds. Over the years, we’ve bought literally hundreds of books there. I’m not exaggerating when I say our house is running out of space for book shelves. For me, spring cleaning usually means rearranging books to try and make more room.

Here are a couple of the treasures I found at the symphony book sale this year:


I admit that I already own copies of Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott and At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald, but I couldn't resist these beautiful old versions. I mean, come on, the boys are all in kilts on the cover of one, and the other has gorgeous pictures throughout. We bought a lot more books as well, but these were some of my favourite finds this year. There are still a few more days left for the book sale, and I intend on going at least once more.

So what's up with you these days? Care to comment or join in on your own blog?


28 comments:

  1. What a beautiful book!

    Good luck with your rewrite too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really had to rein myself in because there were so many beautiful old books. And I'm pleased to say the rewrite seems to be going well. :)

      Delete
  2. Those books look indeed gorgeous! Old versions are simply a treasure to find :D Good luck with your rewrite Erin :D
    What´s up Wednesday is simply a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me old books are like art. They look beautiful and you can read them too. Glad you're enjoying the new meme idea! :)

      Delete
  3. Used book sales are a weakness for me, too! And I am a very big fan of MacDonald - Phantastes is one of my all time favorite books.

    Haven't seen Lincoln yet, but I look forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used book sales are fun because there's no set inventory and you never know what you'll find. I've read four or five of George MacDonald's books, but I have several more on my shelves that I need to get to someday. Hope you enjoy Lincoln when you see it. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed THIS IS WHAT HAPPY LOOKS LIKE. I liked it too. :) I've been wanting to read ENCHANTED for a really long time, so I should probably just get around to that, shouldn't I? You'll have to let me know how it is. Sounds like that scene in your WIP is coming along. I think a Skype date should happen sometime this week, don't you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only a chapter in on ENCHANTED, but it seems to be off to a good start. I've been reading a bit slower the past few days since I threw myself into that chapter rewrite. We should definitely have a Skype date soon. Lots to talk about! :)

      Delete
  5. Hello! I'm a new follower--I found you through your awesome What's Up Wednesday meme! :)

    I loved Jennifer E. Smith's previous books so I'm excited to read THIS IS WHAT HAPPY LOOKS LIKE.

    Good luck finishing your first draft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, and thanks for following! After reading THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT and THIS IS WHAT HAPPY LOOKS LIKE, I'm eagerly awaiting whatever Jennifer E. Smith puts out next. I love the tone of her books. Glad you've joined our meme! :)

      Delete
  6. I thought THIS IS WHAT HAPPY LOOKS LIKE was adorable... Contemporary YA at its finest!

    My husband and I have been wanting to watch LINCOLN for ages. Now that it's On Demand, we might just be able to make that happen this weekend. :-) I've heard it's excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adorable is exactly the right word for THIS IS WHAT HAPPY LOOKS LIKE. I thought the premise of the book was really clever and I loved how the story played out. I hope you guys enjoy LINCOLN as much as we did. :)

      Delete
  7. I love this idea! You and Jaime are too smart for me. Good luck with that chapter rewrite--I'm sure it will be awesome. Is it for the story that I got to read a bit of? I'm excited to see how that turns out once it's published :)

    I'll definitely be joining in on this Wednesday trend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the meme idea and that you'll be joining in! The chapter I'm rewriting is about two thirds of the way through the story you read some of. So far the rewrite is going well, and I think I'll be happy with the end result. Thanks for wishing me luck! :)

      Delete
  8. Lincoln was an amazing movie and Lewis nailed the performance.
    Already in the middle of the IWSG today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you thought so too! You're doing really well if you're in the middle of the IWSG already. I took a look and that's one long list!

      Delete
  9. I love the illustrations in your classic books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they pretty? I couldn't resist when I saw the covers and the pictures. Good thing the writing is great too. :)

      Delete
  10. I loved THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT! I thought it was totally sweet and swoony, and I can't wait to check this new one out. Good luck with your chapter rewriting--hold on to that loving feeling for as long as you can :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "sweet and swoony" definitely sums up Jennifer E. Smith's style, and I love it. Thanks for wishing me luck on my chapter rewrite. You too on your revisions!

      Delete
  11. I just finished THIS IS WHAT HAPPY LOOKS LIKE last night - oh, the setting. Loved it - but not quite as much as TSPOLAFS. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting was wonderful. It makes me want to visit Maine. I'd have to say I enjoyed TSPOLAFS a bit more too. I hope Jennifer E. Smith keeps coming out with such sweet romances. :)

      Delete
  12. I'm excited to read THIS IS WHAT HAPPY LOOKS LIKE--I should really get on that, since Jennifer E. Smith is going to be at the Rochester Teen Book Festival, which I'm taking students to in a few weeks! I'm glad it's as fun as her last one!

    I'm loving this meme, by the way! I'll totally join in once A-Z challenge fatigue wears off. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool she'll be at the festival you're going to! I think THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT was a bit better, but not by much. Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did! And glad to hear you'd like to join the meme! I can see why you need some time to recuperate after the A-Z challenge. :)

      Delete
  13. I love old books and used booksales. Once I'm officially in my grad program and off the non-degree track, I really think I'm going to declare my area of focus within Information Science as Archives and Record-Keeping. It would be like heaven to get paid to spend all day among old manuscripts and records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an amazing job! When I was a kid, my parents used to take us to used bookstores and book sales. I always thought the best ones were the most disorganized, because they had boxes and stacks of books everywhere and we had to sort through to find the good stuff. It was like a treasure hunt. :)

      Delete
  14. I LOVE used book sales. Once I found a love letter tucked in between the pages of an old Nancy Drew!!!

    Great post. Good luck with your writing. Just keep going forward, don't try and edit along the way.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool about the love letter! It's funny you mentioned that, because I did a blog post a few months back about how I found $120 in one of my son's used Hardy Boys books! Good luck with your writing too. :)

      Delete