Wednesday, 24 April 2013

What's Up Wednesday


Recently, my sister and I were discussing how hard it can be to come up with fresh ideas for blog posts. Jaime suggested a new meme might be just thing to solve that problem, so after some brainstorming we decided the middle of the week shall henceforth be known as “What’s Up Wednesday.” The format for this meme is fairly open. Basically, it’s a fun way to share about writing and reading, with a few other details sprinkled in. Feel free to take part if you’d like, and help yourself to the adorable blog button Jaime created. Next Wednesday, she plans on posting some sort of link widget for anyone who’s interested in participating. If you want to visit Jaime’s lovely blog, you can find it here. 

What I’m Reading:

I’m reading Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson. It’s a retelling of the Bluebeard fairy tale and features a character with an obsession for women with red hair. Eek. Being a redhead, I find that especially weird and creepy. This is another book on my Debut Author Challenge list.

 What I’m Writing:

I just finished revamping the first chapter of my manuscript after deciding I wasn’t satisfied with it. A tiny bit more tweaking and I think I’ll finally be happy with the result.  I recently had some ideas on how to strengthen my main character’s voice throughout the story, so I’m implementing those as well. Initially, I had planned to be querying by now, but I don't want to send my story out into the world before I'm confidant it's ready. 

What Inspires Me Right Now:

If you haven’t read The Fault in Our Stars yet, don’t read the following bit.

Something I found inspiring this past week was the part in The Fault in Our Stars where Augustus admits that he wants to make a mark on the world, and then says: “The marks humans leave are too often scars.” I love how John Green put this. I think it’s up to each of us to decide what kind of mark we want to make, whether we’re ultimately going to have a positive or negative impact on the world.

What Else I’ve Been Up To:

-Lately my sister and I have been discussing writing (and everything else) over Skype. We used to just talk on the phone for hours, but Skype allows us to get more work done at the same time. These sessions are always a big motivational boost and the means by which many a plot hole has been filled.

-I’ve been finding books in my mailbox: Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers, Dragonfly and The Glass Swallow by Julia Golding, and Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. I’ve read the last three, but didn’t have my own copies until now. There are few things that brighten my day more than books in the mail.

-My husband and I have been watching season six of The Murdoch Mysteries. Unless you’re Canadian or British, you’re likely not familiar. This is a Canadian detective show about forensics in the Victorian era. It’s kind of like Anne of Green Gables meets CSI, with a male protagonist. Our Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, actually played a policeman on one episode. How cool is that? When there sometimes seems to be a shortage of good story premises, this show feels truly unique to me.

-Yesterday evening, my family made ice cream in Ziploc bags. We actually have a very nice ice
cream maker, but this was my son's science experiment on endothermic reactions. I won’t bore you with an explanation, but I will tell you what flavours we made: peppermint, coconut, and maple. Science never tasted so good.

And on that delicious note, care to share what’s up in your corner of the world lately? Feel free to share in the comments or take part in the meme on your own blog.


23 comments:

  1. LOVE the idea! Whenever I remember I'm definitely going to take part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Glad you'll be taking part. :)

      Delete
  2. I'll try and participate in the What's Up Wednesday hop - it is a hop, right? Lately my blog has been dedicated to a short story through the A-Z challenge. I'm ready for a break...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's a blog hop. Just follow the link to my sister's blog and she'll have a link widget up next Wednesday for anyone who wants to participate. I can see why you're ready for a break. The A-Z challenge is a long haul!

      Delete
  3. Great idea. I'm busy with the A-Z too but I'd love to join in soon. It's soo cool you can discuss your writing with your sister. Who says writers are "solitary" creatures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very lucky to have a sister who also writes. I don't know if I ever would have finished a book without that accountability and support. Glad to hear you want to join us in the blog hop. :)

      Delete
    2. (*butts in to conversation*) Same goes for me! I'd never have finished almost two books without your support. :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure whether or not I have STRANDS OF BRONZE AND GOLD on my DAC list, but if I don't, I'm not sure how I missed it. I've been saying for some time now that there needs to be a YA Bluebeard retelling. I love that line from TFIOS--what a great thing to live by. I'll have to remember that one. As for books in the mail, I have some trickling in. Yesterday, UNSPOKEN showed up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't remember much about the Bluebeard tale, but I decided not to refresh my memory before finishing STRANDS OF BRONZE AND GOLD. That way I'll have no clue what's going to happen in the book. As for that line from TFIOS, I thought it was especially meaningful considering things that have been happening in the world lately. I can't wait to hear what you think of UNSPOKEN!

      Delete
  5. Okay, maple icecream? That sounds amazing. Do you use syrup in it, or maple extract?

    I've been catching up on my review request list, so this week I read 'Wombat Sushi'. It's a chick lit novel about a group of Australian dancers hired to tour Japan -- equal measures raunchy, hilarious, and groan inducing.

    On the writing side, I finally got back in touch with one of my CPs, so hopefully that will push me to keep working on revisions!

    It's nice to have your sister on call to talk out writing problems (awww, sisterly love)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used maple extract for the ice cream and it worked really well. Wombat Sushi? That's a hilarious name for a book! Good luck with your revisions!

      Delete
  6. I love this idea, and I love the little graphic that goes with it... I'm totally jumping onboard next week!

    How are you liking STRANDS OF BRONZE AND GOLD? I'm intrigued by that novel... I think I'll read it even though it's not on my official challenge list.

    Enjoy the rest of your week, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you'd like to join in! As for STRANDS OF BRONZE AND GOLD, I'm not all that far into the story yet. It isn't moving very quickly, but that's typical of historical, and I'm hoping the author is really going to play up on the creepiness and mystery factor as the story progresses. Hopefully I'll enjoy it enough to write a review. Enjoy the rest of your week too!

      Delete
  7. I loved The Fault in Our Stars!!! Very sad ending though....

    my blog: morgankatz505.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put off reading it because of the subject matter, but when I finally got around to it, I loved it too. Yeah, the ending was pretty high on the Kleenex scale. :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't read The FAult in Our Stars...I keep hearing such wonderful things about it...just not quite ready for a sad book. Hope you enjoy Scarlet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put off reading THE FAULT IN OUR STARS for a long time because the subject matter hit too close too home, but I ended up really enjoying it, tears and all. I have a few library books to read first and then hopefully I'll get to SCARLET. After reading your comments about it, I'm looking forward to it even more. :)

      Delete
  9. I love your Wednesday meme idea with your Sis and I'm totally on board! :)
    And I loved TFiOS...like you, I put off reading this one for a very long time, because of personal circumstances. But then I read it and loved it - and shared it with my sister who's an oncology nurse for Seattle Children's Hospital. She in turn, has shared it with all of the staff and many of her patients and they all have loved it just as much. Such a great book, indeed.
    And the ice cream looks DELISH! I can't believe you made it in ziploc bags - where were these science experiments when I was in school (I remember dropping eggs from roofs, but definitely NO ice cream).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great you want to join our meme! I'm glad I finally got around to reading TFIOS too. I was so impressed with how John Green made the story feel true and not trite--difficult considering the topic. Now I know why everyone raves about his writing. What a great idea to share the book with others in the oncology department! As for the ice cream, I found the instructions on the internet and figured it was a chemistry experiment well worth trying. Educational and tasty too. :)

      Delete
  10. I have actually heard of The Murdoch Mysteries. Never seen it, but I've heard of it. Couldn't tell you where. It's possible our PBS station showed (or shows) it?

    Life's always busy with me--plenty to do, and not nearly enough time to do it all. :)

    I've awarded you a "Wonderful Team Member Readership Award," Erin, as a thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting from time to time. You can find details on my blog (here). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's entirely possible. It does seem like the type of show PBS might carry. Well worth checking out if you're into murder mysteries. Life has been very busy for me too lately, especially offline. I guess I need to say thank you and you're welcome in the case of this particular award. :)

      Delete
  11. I really want to read Strands of Bronze and Gold so totally looking forward to your review! Also so cute that you made ice cream with your family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be reviewing this one. I liked it, but there were several issues I had with it. The ice cream was fun, but next time we'll use the ice cream maker. Much easier! :)

      Delete