Monday, 29 April 2013

From Show To Book


Don't worry! This post doesn't contain any spoilers. :)

The other day, I accidentally opened my Mother’s Day gift early. This isn’t the first time that’s happened. We tend to purchase a lot online (especially books and movies), which means that every once in a while parcels get confused, or we forget what’s in them when they arrive. Regardless, I was quite surprised and excited when the blueray of Downton Abbey season three fell out of the envelope. The funny thing is, my husband gave me seasons one and two for Christmas and I accidentally opened them early too. Oops.

As any of you other Downton Abbey fans will probably agree, there are too few episodes of this show. Had the seasons been twice as long, I still would have been left wanting more. In fact, I really wish there was a book series that would further flesh out the story, maybe treat us to some missing moments or further drama. I noticed on Amazon you can buy books containing the scripts for the show, and this includes some deleted scenes, but I’m talking entirely new material.

I’ve read some book spinoffs of shows I’ve watched. Eureka (one of my all-time favourite shows), Warehouse 13, and Stargate Atlantis all have books based on their shows, some of which I’ve read and enjoyed. I even have a copy of a Roswell book kicking around my rec room somewhere. I’ve also read graphic novels that add onto the storylines of Firefly and Tron. And there are probably others I can’t think of off the top of my head.

When you love a show and it gets cancelled (R.I.P. Firefly. Sniffle.), or you would just enjoy the chance to savour its characters and world even more, it’s very satisfying to see that story continued in print. A couple weeks ago, I posted about books that I would love to see turned into movies. Thinking about Downton Abbey prompted me to flip that question around: What television shows or movies would you love to see turned into books?

Have you ever read books that are spinoffs of television shows or movies? What shows would you love to see in book form?

12 comments:

  1. You're a Eureka fan? That is awesome. I was so bummed when it ended.
    I haven't read any books based on Eureka, but I've read plenty of the Stargate and Star Trek books. And I think somewhere we have two, small graphic novels of Firefly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Eureka and Firefly are tied for my favourite shows ever. I was so disappointed when Eureka got cancelled too. I thought it still had a lot of life left in it. There are only three Eureka novels and I really wish they'd write a bunch more. Same with Firefly. The graphic novels were fun, but I'd love to see some full length books.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for starting this post off telling us there were no spoilers. I'm woefully behind in Dowtown Abbey.

    I'm also a Firefly fan (to say the least) and I devoured the graphic novels and even the novelization of the movie because that had some extra stuff in it. I really wish there were more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I try to keep things as spoiler free as possible around here, and if I do give away any details, I always attach a spoiler warning first. I recently got spoiled on a book I've been looking forward to reading, and it's not fun.

      I haven't read the novelization of Serenity yet, but that's good to know there are extras in it!

      Delete
  3. I REALLY want to watch Downton Abbey. I somehow missed the boat on it and haven't watched any of it! Big mistake, I know I'd love it!
    I think I'd really love Touch to be turned into a book series and the same with Continuum! A lot of my favourite shows are either already books or I don't feel would really do well as books! The Walking Dead... I know it's a graphic novel already but would be interested in seeing books of it too.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay because now you can just watch all the episodes in a row and that's more fun anyway. No waiting in between! I don't watch any of the shows you mentioned, but I've seen them advertised and they seem like interesting choices.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I can't wait to watch all three seasons over again. :)

      Delete
  5. I ordered Season 3 just the other day when your hubby told me he bought it for you. I'll probably end up watching all three seasons again sometime this summer.

    As for spinoff books, I've never actually read any connected to shows I've watched. I know they're out there, but I haven't really seen too many. Though, I definitely know about the Roswell ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do that this summer too. It can be my reward once the school year is done. Recently, I was thinking I need to try and piece together the ROSWELL books. I've been wanting to watch it again, so it would be fun to read the books afterward, seeing as I think they actually continue the story.

      Delete
  6. I've personally never read a show/movie --> book spinoff, because it just never seemed like a good idea to me... Also, I've only seen season one of Downton. I hope to remedy this over the summer.

    PS--Sorry I haven't been commenting recently! I'll be back to my normal blog-self after a week or so! (Semester is *almost* complete.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about it at all! Hey, I saw those scary towers of books on your blog, so I totally get it. Hope your semester finishes well and that you can relax and watch seasons 2 & 3 of Downton Abbey as a reward for working so hard! :)

      Delete