Tuesday, 26 March 2013

More Mug Matches and Crazy Characters

So you might have noticed I've added a tab for my mug and book matches. I had so much fun with the project that I decided it should be an ongoing thing. I've actually started referring to my mugs by the titles of the books I paired them with. I know. Weird. Anyway, during my weekend travels, I happened to find two more to add to the list. One actually isn't a mug, but the vintage-looking glass was so darn pretty and matched one of my books so well that I couldn't resist. It's for drinking beverages, so I figure that's enough to qualify. And it was bought at a bookstore, which makes it seem all the more appropriate.

Here are my latest matches:




And speaking of beverages, after a nice glass of Merlot last night, the words started flowing and my current WIP was swept in a direction that totally surprised me. While I furiously scribbled down a large chunk of a particular scene (in red pen oddly enough), I was more or less gobsmacked by my own characters and what they decided to do. This came out of nowhere and was exactly the type of thing I needed to shake up my plot. The crazy thing is that this scene was an afterthought. It wasn't even in my original outline (I'm a planner, not a pantser) and it's become one of the most crucial scenes in the story. Don't you love how you'll think you have it all figured out and then BAM the creative process throws you for a loop?

16 comments:

  1. Love the new mugs! I'll have to head to Chapters to check out the glassware. (How weird is that? Soon you'll be able to buy tires there.) It's amazing what inspires you to write--in your case a little bubbly. ;) I think sometimes the best stuff comes to us when we're not expecting it. And darn it(!) when it isn't in the plan. Glad that the words are flowing again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely check out the new glassware. It was all so pretty and summery looking. As far as surprises in writing, I agree that the best stuff often isn't planned. Maybe that's because you get so immersed in the story that it becomes that much more real to you while you're creating it. That being said, I hope my characters decide to stick to the plan at least some of the time. :)

      Delete
  2. These are so cool :) And glad to hear you found some fun new stuff in your WiP! I've been having that experience a lot since Jaime and I started exchanging words every day--knowing I have to get SOMETHING down makes it easier to lean into whatever the characters suggest, because otherwise I'll just stare at the screen for an hour. (But I have to say, a glass of wine with my writing time doesn't sound like a bad idea.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so impressed with how disciplined you and Jaime have been lately about meeting a daily goal. I've been devoting a lot of time to researching agents and that's kind of left my brain feeling a little too mushy for much writing, so a story breakthrough was totally unexpected. And wine with writing is always a good idea. :)

      Delete
  3. Those moments are the best! (And the worst!) <----because often times it means a lot of rewriting, but if it's for the greater good of the story...

    And LOL at the red pen remark. That's funny! And totally loving the pics. You are awesome, Erin. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, rewriting. So true that those sudden bizarre moments of inspiration can completely throw off other scenes. Fortunately, I'm not too deep into the writing on this manuscript yet, so it's more a matter of adjusting my outline. I'm still not sure what was with the red pen. :)

      Delete
  4. You make me want to go thrift store shopping for mugs to match all of my favorite books... So fun! That blue THRONE OF GLASS mug is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is, I didn't even think about how that one matched THRONE OF GLASS until after I left the store. There was just so much pretty glassware and I loved the colour. :)

      Delete
  5. Cool book/drinkware combos...what a great way to keep the memory of reading those books in your everyday life.

    I love when the characters take over...I'm a pantster, so I may be leaving myself more open to those moments, but they still don't happen that often and it's a treasured thing when they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm big on making notes and outlines, but every once in a while the characters veer off in their own direction, and it's fun to see where they go and how things differ from the way I originally planned.

      Delete
  6. I love love love your mug pairings. And awesome on the new scene! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am crazy in love with your book mug combos! So excited to see what else you come up with in the future! And I agree, all beverage containers should be included because that Throne of Glass cup is killer. Besides, so many of the Harry Potters deserve goblets or bottles for Pumpkin flavored teas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, you just reminded me of another Harry Potter match up I could possibly do. Glad you're enjoying my new project so much. :)

      Delete
  8. I love this! Very cool..I am coffee addict myself so I collect mugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be a fun way of merging my book and mug collections and the idea has kind of stuck. :)

      Delete