Wednesday, 13 February 2013

RTW: Get Lost...In a Book


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival’ where YA Highway’s contributors post a writing-or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s unique take on the topic.


This week’s topic:

It’s (the day before) Valentine’s Day! Let’s jumpstart this lovefest by blogging about what you love most about writing and/or reading!

Well this is easy, because what I love most about writing is the same as what I love most about reading. In a word:

ESCAPISM

Some people call it daydreaming, but I call it writing. When I picture scenes in my head, scribble dialogue in my notebook, or type up a new chapter, I get to hang out with characters I love in a setting constructed entirely from the shiny clutter of my own imagination.  I can go on adventures, do things I’d never be brave enough to attempt in real life, and maybe even save the world. And there’s always the hope that someday readers will get the chance to escape into my stories too.

The same goes for reading. I've ridden the Hogwarts Express, climbed through a wardrobe to Narnia, trekked across Middle Earth, visited the Night Circus, and competed in the Hunger Games, all because some amazing authors invited me into the worlds they’ve created.

There’s nothing quite like getting lost in a good book. And hey, if I happened to write that book, so much the better!

So tell me, why do you love to write and/or read? And to what book setting would you most like to escape?

14 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way about both reading and writing. I love escaping to a world that is SO much more interesting than my own, whether I created that world or I have someone else to thank for it. Also, I love the smell of books. (I'm a book sniffer.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember a conversation we once had about The Hunger Games and how we both said we'd jump into Panem in a heartbeat just because that world, even though it's oppressive and horrible, is so much more interesting than the real world. I think we might be crazy. And as you know, I'm a book sniffer too. You should create a blog button for that.

      Delete
  2. When it comes to fiction, absolutely--exploring/creating new worlds, and living vicariously through the lives of different characters. But there is a sense in which this applies to non-fiction too, especially if it's well written. There you can dialog with experts, dip into history, engage with concepts, all without leaving your couch/bed/hammock/beach chair. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, non-fiction can certainly have the same effect. In the last couple years, I've started reading more biographies with my son, and in the next little while we'll be tackling books on William Wilberforce, Abraham Lincoln, and Harriet Tubman. I want him to feel like he's going back in time to meet people who have shaped our world in amazing ways and hope that their contributions will be very real to him. Thanks for bringing that up!

      Delete
  3. That's also one of my favorite things about reading, being able to experience things I wouldn't be able to experience in real life (like being a wizard!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun being able to live vicariously through characters, especially the ones that go to Hogwarts. :)

      Delete
  4. My favorite thing about reading is I can do anything, be anyone, and travel the world, yet be home for dinner. Escapism is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And books are much cheaper than the price of an airplane ticket. Not that you can get somewhere like Narnia by plane, but you know what I mean. :)

      Delete
  5. I must admit I love the escapism aspect too. :) On the writing side, it provides (or should provide--I think maybe I could do a little better in this area) a wonderful balance with the I'm-writing-about-stuff-I-care-about-terribly aspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point. Developing a world worth escaping to gives you a way to subtly embed those themes that are important to you without coming off sounding preachy. Hmm, I need to keep that one in mind, I think. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm with you -- there's nothing like being lost in a good story and letting the real world fade away for a bit. When I was a kid, I loved escaping to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory (what kid could resist that!) I can still recite most of the Oompa-Loompa poems, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory too. When I read it to my son we stuffed our faces with candy through the whole book. So much fun and so many calories!

      Delete
  7. I'm so with you on this--for writing and reading. I love getting lost in stories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life would be so boring without stories to get lost in. I can't imagine not being a bookworm!

      Delete