Thursday, 3 January 2013

My December Books

December was a lovely month for books, both the receiving of them and the reading of them. These are the books that were under the tree for me this Christmas:


I didn't read nearly as much as I would have liked in 2012. Seeing as I threw myself headfirst into writing and tried to be really disciplined about it, reading sometimes got pushed to the sidelines. Not entirely, but where I usually devour books, it was more of a little nibble here and there. Over the Christmas holidays I was able to kick back with several books, lots of chocolate chili pepper tea, and plenty of Christmas baking (and unlike my 2012 reading habits there was definitely more than a little nibble here and there of the baking). Here's what I read:


A little history, a little fantasy, a little sci-fi, and a whole lot of romance. It will probably come as no surprise to you that the first three were some of my favourite reads this year, especially Grave Mercy. I have to say 2013 is looking pretty amazing as far as sequels.

And now if I could get my nose out of a book, I might actually get around to taking down the Christmas tree. :)


10 comments:

  1. Hey! I see you added a Goodreads book collage thingy. Very cool. :) It looks so pretty!

    Looks like you had some great gifts this year for Christmas. Some of the books under your tree are favourites of mine. I got almost all books for Christmas, no joke. It was kind of funny actually. I told myself I wouldn't be purchasing any new books in January...until I remembered that some really good sequels are out this month. Gah! Oh well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it pretty? It's looks like a patchwork quilt made of books. Hmm, I'd love one of those for real.

      Trev saw that you liked Throne of Glass so he thought that would be a good one to get me, and he was right, of course. Look how shiny Ruby Red looks under the tree. Big surprise that the one with the prettiest cover is from you. :)

      Delete
  2. Lots of good books for Christmas. I liked mine too:). By the way, I like the Goodreads widget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like your new books, buddy. Dad & I had lots of fun picking them out! :)

      Delete
  3. Of the books under the tree, I've only read LEGEND, and of your Christmas reads, I've read CINDER and MISS PEREGRINE. All really good books--CINDER particularly so. Looks like you had a good literary Christmas, Erin. May your 2013 be full of great words--from others, and of your own. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinder was one of my birthday gifts from Jaime and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the new years wishes and I hope your 2013 is great as well. :)

      Delete
  4. Did you like Throne of Glass? I need to pick it up! Also, I loved Cinder and can't wait to hear your thoughts. So many good books here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Throne of Glass! For me it was the whole package deal--characters I felt invested in, interesting plot, solid world building, and even a bit of mystery. I'd definitely recommend it. I really enjoyed Cinder too. It has a couple similar elements to my WIP although the overall story is different. Cinder was such a great character and I felt so sorry for her through the whole book. Can't wait for the sequels for both of these books!

      Delete
  5. The only one of those I've read is 'Throne of Glass' (though I keep meaning to grab a copy of Miss Peregrine). The book was just ok for me -- I found Celaena a bit annoying, and I didn't like the assassin contest plot (LOVED the mystery with the symbols, though -- that's where the book hooked me). Looks like you had a good Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the mystery with the symbols too and I hope the author will work a bit of mystery into the sequel as well. I did have a very good Christmas and I hope you did too. :)

      Delete