Friday, 25 January 2013

Leaping


Today I took a leap. Two leaps actually.

Leap #1:

I entered the Blind Speed Dating contest over at Cupid’s Literary Connection. Eek! The last time I competed in a writing contest I was in grade six. I wrote a very flowery poem about a unicorn and decorated it with shiny stickers. That was quite a while ago (longer than I care to admit), so this felt like kind of a big deal to me. I’d been lurking over there, perusing the submissions and trying to work up the courage to take a stab at it when someone else I know (gee, I wonder who?) also decided to give it a go. I figure, what do I have to lose? Ten dollars and my dignity. I can manage that.

Leap #2:

I signed up for an online writing class at LitReactor.com: The Art of the Query, taught by Bree Ogden. I’m super excited about it, but also really nervous. Nothing like posting a pitch for your story and having a bunch of total strangers dissect it. I’m sure they’ll all be very helpful, and I can’t wait to hear what wisdom Bree has to impart about the elusive perfect query.

So both leaps could result in face plants, or when all's said and done, I could be jumping for joy. Either way, I figure half the reward is in the trying. :)

8 comments:

  1. This was a really good move, Erin. The first time I ever publicly posted a snippet from my WIP, I was amazed at how it boosted my confidence. Sure it was nerve-wracking, but that boost made it that much easier to share it with CPs and then ultimately to start querying. None of this is easy, but much of it is worthwhile. Good luck with both! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hardest part was definitely hitting the send button and then after that it's kind of like "Ah well. What's done is done." We'll see if that's my attitude when they put up the entries though. :) The comments over there did seem constructive and encouraging so that made the decision easier.

      Delete
  2. First, I love love love the new look for your blog. I think it's perfect for you :) Also, I've been lurking on Cupid's blog. I think I'm going to enter the round that opens up on the 29th. So good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you like it! And you should definitely enter the contest. It's kind of nice that there are different rounds, because then it gives you time to work up the courage to submit. Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  3. Oh, best of luck in both these endeavors! And good on ya for putting it out there! :)

    ReplyDelete