Monday, 14 January 2013

It Pays To Organize Your Books...Literally!


One of the chores at the top of my list for ages now has been organizing our overflowing book collection. No easy task seeing as we have books stuffed into every room of the house. I thought I’d start with my son’s room, since his shelves were jam-packed with books that he’d outgrown, a whole lot of Lego, and other miscellaneous junk. 

Before long, I found myself covered in dust, surrounded by more books than an Amazon warehouse, and wondering why on earth I’d been motivated to tackle this job in the first place. As I unloaded a whole slew of Hardy Boys volumes into the mystery section (Yes, I organized his books by genre), I noticed there were two copies of The Twisted Claw #18. One was vintage with the original cover art, and the other was a newer release with an updated cover. I asked him which one he wanted to keep, and he chose the older copy. Not a big surprise to me, seeing as he has an appreciation for that sort of thing.

Just in case the binding was better on the newer copy, I decided I should take a look before discarding it in the donation box. While flipping through the pages, something caught my eye. At first, I thought it was a bookmark, but on closer inspection I realized it was money—two fifty dollar bills and a twenty, stuffed into the middle!

All my son’s Hardy Boys books are used and collected from various places, so we have no idea where that particular volume came from. The bills were old, so they could have been stuck in there for eons now. Some poor kid probably put his Christmas money in his brand new Hardy Boys book from Aunt Mildred for safekeeping and then never read the darn thing.

The moral of the story? If you get a book for Christmas, make sure you read it! Oh, and take the time to organize your book collection, because you never know when $120 might turn up! Much more profitable than digging for pocket change in the couch cushions. :)

8 comments:

  1. Hmm...I think I might have to do some flipping through my own books sometime and see what I find. :P I still can't believe this happened. Totally bonkers, but totally cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I just about put the darn book in the donation box. Close call!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! How awesome is this??? Dang... time for me to go organize my books... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome and kinda crazy! I figure it was my reward for working so hard. :)

      Delete
  3. Um, that's awesome. Now I want to go through all of my old books. But I doubt there's anything but dust in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty happy about it! It makes me wonder what else might be hiding in my books that I don't know about.

      Delete
  4. LOL, that's great! I'll make sure to do that whenever I give books to kids. That way I'll know if they're reading, hehe. I had a similar experience not too long ago while I was cleaning out my purses. I'm not a really girly-girl, but I have a crazy purse collection and I was trying to get everything into one bag, instead of spread out between a dozen. I found some cash in all of my purses. Yay! It was like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! It could be their reward for reading. Although a hundred and twenty bucks might be a bit steep for one book! That's hilarious about your purses. I rarely carry cash, so I think I'd be out of luck if I rooted through my purses.

      Delete