Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Debut Author Challenge

In the spirit of the shiny new year, I've decided to participate in the Debut Author Challenge. What better way to celebrate 2013 than to enjoy books from a fresh batch of authors?

If you want to know more about the challenge, follow this link to Hobbitsies blog.

After perusing the extensive list of debut releases and their descriptions, these are the books that stood out to me. You can click the titles to be magically transported to Goodreads:






Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans (1/15/2013)





Nobody But Us by Kristin Halbrook (1/29/2013)





The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd (1/29/2013)





Revolution 19 by Gregg Rosenblum (1/8/2013)





Altered by Jennifer Rush (1/2/2013)





Dualed by Elsie Chapman (2/26/2013)





Pivot Point by Kasie West (2/12/2013)





City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster (2/5/2013)





Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza (3/12/2013)





Poison by Bridget Zinn (3/12/2013)





Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson (3/12/2013)





Taken by Erin Bowman (4/16/2013)





Arclight by Josin L. McQuein (5/1/2013)





Reboot by Amy Tintera (5/7/2013)





The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller (5/7/2013)





Parallel by Lauren Miller (5/14/2013)





The Neptune Project by Polly Holyoke (5/21/2013)





Canary by Rachele Alpine (8/23/2013)


    
     ?         Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis (9/9/2013)






These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman 



      ?        All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terill






Gated by Amy Christine Parker





The Ward by Jordana Frankel





Control by Lydia Kang


There were even more I could have added to the list, but realistically I probably won't even get through everything I've included here. That won't stop me from trying though! See anything here that you can't wait to read?

9 comments:

  1. I'm not taking on an official challenge this year because I have so much catch-up to do from last year...but I just know that there will be a bunch of debut author titles that everyone raves about and I will probably wind up reading close to 12 anyway! On this list, I definitely plan to read Control because Lydia was one of the bloggers I "met" really early on in my blogging. She's awesome and I'm really excited for her debut. That's a really cool thing that I'm starting to notice--people whose blogs I've been following for over a year, who were just other book lovers and aspiring writers, now have release dates! So anyone whose blog I've been following for a while is a must-read. Beyond that...well, I look forward to hearing what you think of all of these, so I can decide which ones to add to the Towering TBR Of Doom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tonne of books to catch up on too, not to mention there are lots of sequels out this year, which is why I was a bit hesitant to sign up for the challenge at first. When I read through the synopses there were too many that hooked me in and I figured I'd end up reading a bunch of them anyway, so I might as well go for it. That's exciting that one of your blog friend's book is on the list! Control sounds great and I'm really looking forward to reading it!

      Delete
  2. Great list, Erin! You have some on here that I didn't end up putting on my list, mainly because it was already pretty hefty. It's funny, because I have a different Josin L. McQuein book on my list. I suppose the one you chose is technically the debut, but since they both come out in 2013, I figure it's okay. The one I chose is PREMEDITATED. The crazy thing about that one is that I remember reading the query letter the author wrote on Query Shark's blog. I guess they thought the synopsis sounded so darn good that they used it for cover copy (or on Goodreads at leat). 2013 is shaping up to be a good year for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were definitely more I could have added to the list too. I had trouble narrowing it down to two dozen titles. Even if I don't finish all of these on time for the challenge, I hope to eventually read them all. I've seen a few of the query letters from the books I chose too. It'll be cool to read the actual books now!

      Delete
  3. *whistles* What a list! I'm going to have to check out the debut author site and see if anything catches my eye. I've been trying to review more indie books, but I's love to add some new trad-published authors into the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hobbitsies has compiled a huge list and I had a hard time keeping mine to a reasonable length after sifting through. You should definitely go check it out! So many books, so little time!

      Delete
  4. I'm planning to participate, too. I think I'll finish my list this weekend! We have some of the same ones on both our lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I'm eager to see which books you picked! :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I'd wanted to join this last year but was too late to give a whirl. Thanks for the reminder! I'll hop over and join!

    Love your list - The Summer I Became A Nerd will definitely be on mine - the title alone has me!

    ReplyDelete