Monday, 3 December 2012

You Got the Look


Elodie at commutinggirl.wordpress.com has tagged her readers with the “You Got the Look” meme. During NaNoWriMo, I read a lot of great snippets from other people’s WIPs and I figure I need to be brave enough to post a tiny segment of mine.

This is how it works: Search your current WIP and find the word “look”, then post some of the lines around it.

So here’s a paragraph from chapter 3 of my sci-fi/romance, which is tentatively titled ENVISION:

When I glimpse myself in the mirror, I’m mortified to discover I look like a Cirque de Soleil reject. I scrub away smears of glittery makeup and the mask of my former identity washes down the drain. I can only imagine how pathetic they must think I am. There’s no toothbrush I can use, so I make due with swishing some mouthwash, then rip through the knots in my hair with a comb. I should feel refreshed, but I don’t. Hurt and confusion coat me, a layer of grime I’m not sure will ever rinse away.

Nothing huge, but a little peek at my mc. I’d love to see more from your WIPs, so if you read this, consider yourself tagged.


And check this out…



This is the lovely bundle of books my husband gave me for my birthday. There was some conspiring via text going on between him and Jaime to finalize the titles. He cut into the Christmas list with Grave Mercy but that’s just fine by me. So excited! Now I need to set aside some time for a cup of tea and a shiny new book. :)

11 comments:

  1. Great snippet, Erin! (But then I already know the whole story and like it.) :) Glad you liked your books too. I completely forgot that you wanted GRAVE MERCY, so I made sure to mention that one. I think you'll like all three of these.

    I might have to do this You Got the Look meme. Hmm...maybe tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm sure you were shocked that I chose this one ;) When Trev came home with a Starbucks bag (of course) full of books I was very happy. I love them all. Now I need to hurry up and finish what I'm currently reading. And you should definitely do this meme. Easy post and you've already been brave enough to share bits of your stories.

      Delete
  2. I am SO CURIOUS now. I want to know who this person is and why she(?) is stuck someplace covered in glitter with no toothbrush (what a nightmare!) Really cool snippet!

    And awesome book choices--GRAVE MERCY was one that my husband got me for my birthday, too! (I think on a long list of YA, "assassin nuns" must really grab guys...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're curious! I've read my WIP so many times it's hard for me to tell now what parts might hook people in. The person in the paragraph is my mc, Naia, and her situation is indeed a nightmare. If you should ever want to hear more, you're very welcome to. Thanks for the compliment on my snippet. I can breath easy now. :)

      I was impressed with the book choices too. My husband mostly reads spy novels and fantasy, so yeah, assassin nuns do seem like they'd catch his interest, come to think of it. He does read some YA, so maybe he'll have to borrow it when I'm done.

      Delete
  3. So lovely, Erin! Goodness, I loved the emotion shown. I'm so glad you shared! And I need to read ALL those books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad the emotion came through the way I wanted it to :)

      Delete
    2. Totally. I'm so glad you're part of this blogging world now, Erin. Nothing better than talented writer friends!

      Delete
  4. The emotion is definitely shining through! Love that snippet and so glad you posted it :D
    I'd love to know more about the story and your character now!
    (and great gifts from your husband, I haven't read any of those books yet, can't wait to know what you think of them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment on the segment from my story. I'm glad you tagged your readers for this meme because it gave me the little boost I needed to post part of my WIP, even it it's just a very small part. I'll be sure to share my thoughts on the birthday books when I finish reading them. :)

      Delete
  5. Great excerpt! And that's paragraph 3? Makes me wonder what happened in the first two paragraphs (I feel like maybe she was getting teased or something?) Definitely captures my interest.

    And shiny books! 'Shadow and Bone' is awesome. Looks like a good birthday haul :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was actually in chapter 3 so there was a little more build up to what's going on in the scene and she's just been through a terrifying and life changing experience. I really wasn't very nice to my mc, I'm afraid ;) I'm so excited to read SHADOW AND BONE. I'm glad to hear you thought it was awesome!

      Delete