Wednesday, 28 November 2012

RTW: Best Book of November



Out of the books I read in November, I’d have to say the best was Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. I was a little late to the game on this one, seeing as it’s been out for quite some time already, but I’m so glad I finally got around to reading it.

The voice in Shatter Me blew my mind. (See all that stuff blasting outward on the front cover? Yeah, that's my head exploding from this book.) I found myself rereading lines just to enjoy the sound of them again and to marvel at how creative they were. Tahereh Mafi links words together in such unique ways and while I wanted to know what was going to happen in the story, half the reason I kept reading was to see what she was going to say next and exactly how she was going to say it.

I love Juliette’s thoughts: the way she repeats things to herself, thinks in fragments that trail off, fixates on numbers, or crosses out what she really means in favour of a more acceptable response. I don’t know if I’ve ever felt so inside a character’s head before. At times, Tahereh Mafi tossed the rules for sentence structure and punctuation out the window and it adds so much to the emotional effect of the book.

When the comment on the back cover said it was “oozing with romance” this wasn't an exaggeration. Seriously, the swoon factor in Shatter Me was off the charts before…okay not going to finish that sentence because there’s really no way to do that without spoiling anything.

I’m flipping through the book while I’m writing this and I need to put the darn thing down before I get sucked into it again. I have other things to read (and write), but I can say that I will definitely be rereading Shatter Me (likely more than once) and can’t wait for the sequel.

Oh, and while the new covers on this series are really cool, why oh why did they change them right after I bought this copy? Ah well.

Care to share your best November read? Or give your opinion on Shatter Me?

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book, I hadn't heard of it! With NaNo going on this month, I only managed to read one book--The Raven Boys. I doubt I'll have an RTW post up today since I'm hoping to finish my NaNo project. We'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime recommended it to me and I'm glad she did. Juliette's condition in the book gives it a bit of an X-Men feel at times. I loved The Raven Boys. If you're going to squeeze a book into the middle of all that writing The Raven Boys is definitely a great pick. And good luck with the end of your NaNo project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I'm always nervous recommending a book. What if the person I recommended it to hates it? Yikes. SHATTER ME was definitely a great read and now I want to read it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I always say "I hope you like it" when we recommend books to each other and I honestly can't remember an instance when one of us was disappointed. We should just start saying, "You have to read this. NOW!"

      Delete
  4. I read SHATTER ME earlier this year, and for that month it beat out INSURGENT as my book of the month. Yes, I thought it was THAT good (and I really enjoyed INSURGENT). I was blown away by it for all the reasons you mention (if you search on "Shatter Me" on my blog, you'll find the article--you might be interested by how similarly we reacted). Great choice, Erin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just went and read your review of Shatter Me and we definitely had similar thoughts on it. Like you said, the voice really communicated the psychological impact of Juliette's imprisonment. Her thought process completely convinced me that she had been living in isolation and was a social pariah because of her condition. As you also pointed out, anyone who wants to better understand what the term "voice" means, should take a look at this book. Tahereh Mafi elevates "show don't tell" to a whole other level if you ask me and I can't wait to read more of her work.

      Delete
  5. Here I'm going to be the anti-Shatter Me. I did NOT like that book and only finished because the story was just interesting enough to make me want to find out what happens in the end. Seriously, I wanted to throw the book across the room on a number of occasions.
    I don't like to trash books so I won't say anything else. ;)
    I have heard that the novella in the bad guy's (can't remember his name) POV is awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To each his/her own, I guess. That's why it's good there's lots of selection and something for everyone in YA. I haven't read the novella about Warner yet, but I should probably get around to that soon. Thanks for sharing your opinion even if it was different than mine. Honest discussion is a good thing. :)

      Delete
  6. Haven't read this one yet, although it's been on my list for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did when you get around to reading it. :)

      Delete
  7. Still haven't read this one, so don't feel like you're too far behind the times (I probably won't get another book read until January... oh no).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good books out there it's impossible to keep up, isn't it? December is always so busy I'm not sure there's much hope of me getting a whole lot of reading done either.

      Delete
  8. When I first dove into this book, I was floored. I thought it brilliant and soooo clever. But there was a point in the book where it began to lose its magic for me... it lost its momentum or something. Maybe it started to get a little cheesy? Can't remember, it was something... but yes, I agree that the voice is REALLY fun and definitely different. I'd totally read more in the series!

    Great post, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I was probably so caught up in the swoony scenes I wouldn't have noticed any loss of momentum lol! If I had any criticism at all I think it would be that I wish she'd given us a little more about the world outside of the asylum. I figure book two will probably take care of that though. The book ends with a very different feel from the start so I'm eager to see what's up ahead in the series. :)

      Delete
  9. Wow! I'd heard great things about this, but the way you described the protag's voice sounds amazing. I need to get this.

    ReplyDelete