Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books On Your Fall TBR List


This week’s Top Ten Tuesday at the Broke and the Bookish is a rewind to any previous topic discussed. While I’ve lurked on the blogs for a while now, this is my first ever post, so I decided to go with something simple.  Autumn is already well underway, and I’m smack in the middle of revising my WIP, which means that more than likely I won’t get all of these read before winter. Sometimes a little wishful thinking doesn’t hurt though.

1. Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor 

November 6th can’t get here fast enough! I recently read Daughter of Smoke and Bone for the second time and found myself rereading parts of it just to savour the language Laini Taylor uses. I know the first seven chapters of Days of Blood and Starlight are available to read online, but I’m holding off until I have the whole book in my hands. Getting a taste and then having to wait for the rest would be torture.


2. Such Wicked Intent by Kenneth Oppel 

I loved everything about This Dark Endeavor: the atmosphere, the characters, the alchemy, the pretty damask design inside the cover. I was very excited when its sequel arrived in my mailbox recently, although there’s no pretty pattern inside the cover this time (so disappointed). Victor Frankenstein is such an intriguing main character because he constantly struggles between doing the right thing and giving into his darker ambitions. He’s certainly no Gary Stu and I can’t wait to see what this second book holds for him. 




3. The Kill Order by James Dashner

I’m not usually thrilled with the idea of prequels, but in this case I’m eager to read more about the events leading up to the creation of WICKED and the Glade.





4. Cinder  by Marissa Meyer  

I received this one as an early birthday gift from my sister (Thanks, Jaime!) and I’ve heard so many great things about it. Cinderella as a cyborg has to be one of the most creative rewrites anyone could come up with.





5. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi 

Also recommended to me by my sister. I’m eager to find out what the deal is with all the crossed out words in the text. Interesting technique. And who am I kidding? The words “oozing with romance” in the review on the back cover might have a little something to do with why I want to read it.





6. Starling by Lesley Livingston 

I stumbled on this one during my last visit to the bookstore. Hadn’t even heard of it yet. Love it when that happens. And like Kenneth Oppel she's a Canadian author. Yay!




7. War Horse by Michael Morpurgo 

My son is learning about World War I this fall, so we’re going to read War Horse and then watch the movie. The rule in our house is book first and movie second. Looks like a real tearjerker, so I hope I can make it through without bawling.




8. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater  

Hopefully I can get this one read on time to participate in the YA Book Club. Considering the premise involves a girl who thinks she’s going to cause her true love to die, that shouldn’t be too hard. Putting it down might be though.





9. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare 

Just finishing up The Mortal Instruments and then I’ll be onto The Infernal Devices. I’m a little late to the game concerning Cassandra Clare’s books, but I’ve been devouring them for the last month or so. They’ve renewed my interest in paranormal and I have to admit I’m excited for the City of Bones movie.




10. The Whisper by Emma Clayton 

I read The Roar quite some time ago, so I’m going to have to refresh my memory before delving into this sequel. If you’re a fan of Ender’s Game, you might like this middle grade series.





So there’s a little bit of everything in my TBR pile (which is really more like a whole bookcase to be honest).  Care to share what you’re reading this fall?




25 comments:

  1. I read Cinder which was really good. I'm also looking forward to reading The Raven Boys and Days of Blood and Starlight when it comes out - I loved Daughter of Smoke & Bone.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say enough about Laini Taylor's writing. I've only read Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, but I've heard good things about The Raven Boys so I can't wait to read it. Perfect for October too.

      Delete
  2. So many great books on your list. I want to read most of them. Especially This Dark Endeavor! I can't wait to start this series. ;)

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I whipped through This Dark Endeavor because I enjoyed it so much and my timing was great because the second book came out shortly after I read it. Not that I've had time to get to it yet. Someday soon though!

      Delete
  3. So many good books on this list--some that I've read and loved and others that I'm eagerly anticipating (DAYS OF BLOOD & STARLIGHT for the win!). I think you'll really enjoy THE INFERNAL DEVICES series. I think I actually liked it more than THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS (what I've read thus far of that series anyway). Both are good but I like the former a bit better. As for SHATTER ME and CINDER? I think you'll love both of them as much as I do. :D

    P. S. Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, half the books I read you've recommended to me and I'm never disappointed. Thanks for that by the way! And thanks for helping me get my blog set up. I honestly don't know what order I'll read this book list in because there are too many good ones to choose from. Definitely starting with The Raven Boys because of the book club, so at least that gives me a starting point!

      Delete
  4. Hey there! Found you through Jaime--welcome to blogging! This looks like a pretty fantastic list. I just read THE RAVEN BOYS and loved it; I've got quite a stack at home but I'm especially looking forward to SERAPHINA by Rachel Hartman and GRAVE MERCY by Robin LaFevers. I also keep hearing really good things about UNSPOKEN by Sarah Rees Brennan, so I might have to pick that up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome! I almost included Grave Mercy, but decided to put it on my Christmas list which bumps it to my winter TBR pile instead. Seraphina and Unspoken both look really good too. So many great books and too little time to read them!

      Delete
  5. I want to read everything you have listed! *flail*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I guess you'll be just as busy as me :)

      Delete
  6. Cinder is really good! :D I can't wait for the next book. The writing style is flawless and Cinder is a wonderful character.

    Shatter me, Starling, The raven boys, Clockwork Angel, all on my TBR pile as well :) Great list!

    TTT @thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the idea of fairy tales written in scifi. Such a unique mash up!

      Delete
  7. Hello Jaime´s sister and welcome to the Blogosphere. You have lots of wonderful books on that list!
    I just started THE RAVEN BOYS and loving it so far :D Hope you manage to join the Book Club...and would love to hear your thoughts on WAR HORSE, I haven´t read the book and haven´t watched the movie yet but it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elodie! Thanks for stopping by! Maybe I'll do a review of War Horse when I read it. My son will have to write a book report on it, so we can do our homework at the same time:)

      Delete
  8. Hello, Erin! Welcome to the weird and wacky world of writer-blogging. Enough "w"s for you? :) I did this TTT back last month...? Whenever it was the current TTT. Anyway, I'm making progress on the list. CINDER was one of the books I read, and it ended up being my Book of the Month for September. Such a good book. CINDER and SHATTER ME are both contenders for my Book of the Year. SHATTER ME does have some intriguing aspects (the crossed out words, for instance), but what blew me away was the quality of the writing. Elegant, evocative, and just complete and utter awesomeness, like Tahereh Mafi uses awesome sauce for ink. Makes my WIP look like drool on the page.

    Anyway, great list. Good to meet you! Hope to see you around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for the welcome and I love the alliteration! The world of writer-blogging is definitely wacky and a challenge for me, seeing as I'm a bit behind on these things. Very high praise for Cinder and Shatter Me! I'm looking forward to reading them even more now. So I wonder if you can buy "awesome sauce" ink anywhere. My WIP could certainly use some of that! Nice to meet you too!

      Delete
  9. Lots of good books, aren't there? I always like a good selection of books to read. It will be really cool reading War Horse. Great blog post:D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there certainly are lots of good books! That's why our shelves are so full! It will definitely be cool reading War Horse with you. Can't wait!

      Delete
  10. Yaaaay... welcome to the blogging world! Fabulous list of books up there. I enjoyed Shatter Me... really clever, but it started to fall a little flat half way through, IMO. And I need to give Cassandra Clare another chance. Everyone loves her, but I couldn't get into the Mortal Instrument series! Don't know what my deal was! And I love James Dashner. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome! I held off on reading The Mortal Instruments for a long time because I didn't think they'd be my cup of tea, so I was kind of surprised when I actually enjoyed them. Not without their bits of cheese, but I like the atmosphere and the humour. James Dashner is great. Also have The 13th Reality series kicking around the house which I need to get to someday.

      Delete
  11. Welcome to the blogging world! Jaime mentioned you in her post, so I thought I'd stop by and say hello. :)

    Also, Cinder is awesome. Definitely read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! So glad you stopped by! After all the amazing comments about Cinder today I'm definitely going to have to read it soon. Sounds like everyone loved it:)

      Delete
  12. There are so many books coming out this fall, I can't even think. Really, the book that excites me the most isn't coming out until January, so it doesn't count. (It's the sequel to GRAVE MERCY, and I'm dying to get my hands on it.)

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-rewind-top-ten-bookish.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi and welcome - I also popped over from Jaime's blog. I have not read most of the books on this list, although I've wanted to read a few. I've recently had to limit my reading to Books in My Genre (YA contemp) because I have been getting sidetracked too often. :)

    I have, however, read War Horse as a book club pick. I'll be interested to hear your comments. We have the same rule in our house - book first, then the movie.

    Best of luck with your blog and your writing. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks for stopping by! I can understand why you have to limit yourself to reading within your genre. There are so many great books out there it's really hard to narrow down the list. I often find it takes me out of the right frame of mind for writing my story if I'm reading something entirely different.

      I'll be sure to post my thoughts on War Horse when we read it later this fall:)

      Delete