Wednesday, 10 October 2012

RTW: The Back Burner

What do you hope to be writing in one year? Three? Five?

Road Trip Wednesay is a "Blog Carnival" where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing-or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

Hope is the keyword in that question. Writing has always been one of the first things to go on the back burner for me, because “real life” takes over. It wasn’t until my sister took up writing and provided some much needed accountability that I buckled down and started realizing if I ever wanted to finish a story I was going to have to consider writing an important part of my “real life”.

That was about a year ago. Since then, writing has become a priority. Now I’ve got a first draft of a sci-fi/romance that took just over four months to write and two-thirds of a contemporary romance done. Pretty surreal to me seeing as my usual pattern was to plan the heck out of a story and then get bogged down in copious amounts of notes until I gave up several chapters in. Sometimes I’d half-heartedly poke away at a story for years. Actually finishing a first draft was a huge goal for me and now that I’ve accomplished that I’d really like to complete the next two books in the trilogy.

So what do I see myself writing a year from now? Hopefully book two and/or three in my sci-fi series because at this point I can’t imagine not finishing the whole story.  I really want to see it through to the end. And, of course, I’d love to be writing for a real audience. Seeing as my contemporary romance is the one on hold right now, I also want to finish it off down the road sometime.

Thinking ahead three to five years just makes my head spin. While it’s fun to dream about other writing projects, I need to take things one day at a time and stay focused on revisions. The biggest thing though is giving myself permission to write. Maybe in the future I’ll dig through some of my old story ideas and see if any of them are worth taking off the back burner to polish up.

And yes, I had to clean my stove before taking that picture. Housework is the other thing that ends up on the back burner :) .


14 comments:

  1. I can definitely see how writing can end up on the back burner. For me, the biggest challenge is overcoming the "there are no guarantees" type of thinking and still pushing on. I waffle back and forth between thinking my story is poop and thinking that it's half decent.

    I'm fortunate enough to have the time right now to focus on writing, but I know that probably won't always be the case. Because of that ticking clock, I feel this sense of urgency that I know you feel too. I think it's great that you've finally given yourself permission to pursue this dream. And judging by your story, I don't think this will just be a dream for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head. While it's fun to write for yourself it's a major time commitment if the story doesn't ever get published. I had to get to the point where I needed to write regardless of the end result. Still a struggle sometimes. Thanks for the encouragement on my story! And for the record your story is way beyond "half decent"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely right, Erin. There's no way we can hope to fulfill our writing ambitions unless we make writing a part of our lives. If we want to make a career out of it, then we need to be thinking of it in those terms.

    All the best with your writing endeavors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really does have to be approached as a job and in that case I end up working the night shift a lot! Best wishes to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Housework is the number one back burner for me. Congratulations on completing your first book. That's so huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's huge in more ways than one. I really need to trim it down to size. It's making the revision process loads of fun :)

      Delete
  6. Housework isn't even in the kitchen for me, it's so far from the backburner. A cluttered home is a sign of a creative spirit. :) I do hate when writing ends up on the backburner, and with a FT job and young kids, it happens way too often.

    I look forward to learning more about your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there must be some serious creativity going on in our house these days then, because it's certainly looking on the cluttered side!

      Delete
  7. If you ever need a beta reader on your sci-fi book, look me up. I LOVE sci-fi.

    I think you're right, that the best way to retain sanity is to take things one day at a time, and meet daily goals (daily word count, editing goals, and heaven forbid, maybe even doing some dishes).

    New follower here! My blog is nickieanderson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that's the best way to enjoy my story too. Rather than planning too far ahead I try to love where I'm at in the process right now and I think my writing is better off for it.

      Delete
  8. I agree, sometimes it's best to take one step at a time and not get too far ahead of ourselves. It's good to stop and enjoy the moment, but at the same time I like to know what's ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Setting goals is definitely a good thing too. We might not be able to tell exactly what's ahead but it's important to know what it is you're working towards.

      Delete
  9. Finishing a draft is HUGE... it really is... Like, huge HUGE. I'm so proud of you. It's sooooo hard. All of it. But it's so worth it. And I know for me, it took me a while to adjust and make writing a priority and not let other things (like housework, lol) get in the way! And every little baby step counts. Small goals definitely equal bigger ones. It's amazing what can happen even when you just write a few words each day. I'm proud/excited for you, Erin! And I'm so glad you're here in blogosphere! I want to know more about you and Jaime as sisters! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the encouragement! I'm pretty excited about it myself. Nothing like finally meeting a goal after, oh you know, a couple decades lol! As for Jaime and I, I'm sure I have plenty of stories I could share :)

      Delete