Tuesday, 30 October 2012

An Evening With Snow Patrol


This past weekend I had the chance to see Snow Patrol in concert. Not only are they my favourite band ever, but I have some of their songs on the playlist for my WIP. Talk about an amazing opportunity for writing inspiration! Seriously though, writing inspiration or not, I’d pay good money to listen to Gary Lightbody yodel the phone book.

We drove five hours to get to the concert and it was worth every freezing snowy minute and every penny we spent on tickets--especially seeing as on the way there I managed to crank out a detailed outline of book two in my trilogy (Yay!). Have to do something to keep busy in the car right? This was my son’s first rock concert so it was a fun family milestone and a total blast for him. And as an added bonus, I got to see my sister Jaime and her hubby who managed to get last minute tickets right across the aisle from us.


Here we are before the concert, and yes, that's my brother-in-law making wacky faces behind us.


Not the clearest picture, but there's Snow Patrol putting on an amazing show. The highlight for me was their performance of "Open Your Eyes", which I listened to when writing a certain important scene in my WIP. Also enjoyed hearing "Run" and "New York". Both are on my playlist as well. Loved listening to Gary Lightbody's lovely Northern Irish accent almost as much as the music, and man is he energetic. No wonder he's so skinny (thus the name "Lightbody", hmm?). Phenomenal show. I left with a huge smile and very numb eardrums. Oh, and an ecstatic twelve year old :) I would go to another of their concerts in a heartbeat. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds and Jake Bugg opened the concert and both were great as well.


Before heading home, we checked out Wee Book Inn, a very cool used bookstore. For of any of you Firefly/Castle fans out there, Nathan Fillion used to buy comic books at Wee Book Inn when he was a kid. It seems that whenever we go away anywhere we always end up at a bookstore of some kind.


This is Yvan, one of the cats that lives at Wee Book Inn. He's seventeen years old and has the squishiest face I've ever seen. So adorable. His buddy Bunny was sleeping in the display case under the front till when we paid for our books. The guy working the till said there's something fitting about having cats in a bookstore and I have to say I wholeheartedly agree. Petting the cat was just as fun as buying books, and that's saying something!


Another not so stellar picture taken by my husband's phone, but perhaps clear enough for you to see the rows of delicious cupcakes in the case. This is Fuss Cupcakes and it's becoming a tradition to stop there whenever we go to Edmonton. Sure their cupcakes are delicious (I chose Pumpkin Spice and Chocolate Addiction), but the best thing about them is that they're peanut free! This is a huge deal in my family because it means my son gets to enjoy them as well. In fact, he's the one that found Fuss Cupcakes on the internet. This was lunch on the long ride home. I'm such a horrible mom. :)

Well, that was our whirlwind overnight trip. Incredible music, lots of books, cute cats and stuffing our face with cupcakes. Great weekend!

Here's a link to Jaime's account of the concert: A Wonderful Weekend.



12 comments:

  1. That concert sounds like so much fun! I love Snow Patrol and am very jealous of you. And yay for outlines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very fun! I'm glad you love Snow Patrol too. I think they're amazing. Getting an outline done was like the icing on top of the cake for me :)

      Delete
  2. Ah your trip sounds great! Now that I see the photo of you and Jaime together it's obvious you're sisters! The cupcakes sound amazing and the concert must have been incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Jaime & I never think we look alike but you can sort of see it in that picture. You can definitely tell in person though because of how we act. Weirdness must be a family trait haha. The only thing that could possibly have made the concert and the cupcakes more amazing would have been enjoying them simultaneously :)

      Delete
  3. You guys are totally sisters! So gorgeous, the two of you. I love it. And what a fun adventure! Thanks SO much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks :) It was a definitely a fun adventure. So glad we decided to go!

      Delete
  4. Hey there! So I posted about this today too and couldn't resist including the 'sexy' comment that Gary made. :P Today will be We-went-to-Snow-Patrol-nanananabooboo Day on our blogs. My post is missing a seriously cute and smooshy kitty, though. And cupcakes. There aren't any of those on mine either. Glad we were able to go with you guys. Such a great experience/memory! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "sexy" comment was awesome. I was so glad Mr. Lightbody was friendly and funny. You would've loved the kitty. The picture does not do justice to how cute and smooshy faced and sweet he was. He's actually named after a former Montreal Canadiens player. How weird since he lives in a bookstore in Edmonton. So glad you guys were able to get to the concert! That made the weekend even better. Next time we go to a concert around Halloween we have to wear costumes though :)

      Delete
  5. As I said to Jaime on her blog, it sounds like you all had a really good time. And as one parent to another, feeding your child/children cupcakes to eat on a long car journey is the epitome of good parenting. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a really good time! I'm glad you approve of serving cupcakes as a meal. Personally I think they should be their own food group :)

      Delete
  6. Snow Patrol rocked the planet on Saturday:D! He He. Funny picture of you and Todd:P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a good time, Buddy! And yes, Uncle Todd is very funny :)

      Delete